Martha's Vineyard is a magnet for millionaires, CEOs, and celebs - and the Obamas reportedly just bought a $12 million mansion on the island. Here's a look at the rich and famous who flock there every summer.
- Martha's Vineyard has a long history of attracting some of the most influential people in the world both as visitors and homeowners.
- The Obamas reportedly just bought a nearly $12 million mansion on the Massachusetts island.
- They now join a long list of high-profile people, like Jackie Kennedy and 60 Minutes anchor Mike Wallace, who have called the island home.
- Martha's Vineyard is also a popular vacation spot among the wealthy - Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Larry David have all been spotted spending time there. Even Princess Diana would visit, according to the Observer.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Martha's Vineyard is the place to be if you're among America's elite.
The island is split up into six towns: Aquinnah, Chilmark, Edgartown, Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven, and West Tisbury. It's a mix of sandy beaches, picturesque lighthouses, wildlife sanctuaries - and sprawling, million-dollar estates. And Oak Bluffs, as Business Insider's Aine Cain previously reported, is known for its distinctive and colorful Ginger Bread houses.
While some, like Bill Gates, have been spotted on the island vacationing, others have made long-term real-estate investments in the area. Most recently, the Obamas are leading the news: They reportedly just bought a sprawling waterfront mansion in Edgartown for $11.75 million.
The massive 29-acre estate comes with a nearly 7,000-square-foot mansion and a private beachfront. And, while the nearly $12 million price tag is no small investment, it's far from being one of the most expensive pieces of real estate on the island.
In fact, in Edgartown alone, there are six homes listed for sale on Zillow with asking prices over $14 million.
The Obamas aren't the only ones with real estate on Martha's Vineyard
Many high-profile people have purchased property on Martha's Vineyard, including former first lady Jackie Kennedy, journalist Mike Wallace, television host David Letterman, journalist Diane Sawyer, former chief executive of Colony Capital Richard Saltzman, and film director Spike Lee.
Just this past July, the estate where former first lady Jacqueline (Jackie) Kennedy Onassis spent her summers was put on the market by her daughter Caroline Kennedy with an asking price of $65 million.
The stunning 340-acre estate is located in Aquinnah and includes a 6,456-square-foot main house, guest house, hunting cabin, barn, boathouse, storage building, and two garages.
Like the Kennedy estate, Spike Lee's property has also shot up in value over the past few decades. According to Zillow, a property on Martha's Vineyard registered under Spike Lee's name was sold for $390,000 in November of 1989. Now, that property is estimated to be valued at nearly $3 million.
The island's population grows from around 17,000 to around 200,000 in the summer
In fact, even before reportedly purchasing a multimillion-dollar estate, Barack Obama was known to be a big fan of Martha's Vineyard and would visit the island regularly. In fact, in 2015, he kicked off his trip to the island by playing golf with Larry David and Robert Wolf. That year, he stayed in a 17-room house valued at around $12 million.
Of course, it's not just the ultra-wealthy who visit Martha's Vineyard. The island is home to around just 17,000 year-round residents but the population jumps to around 200,000 in the summer. In fact, according to the Martha's Vineyard Chamber of Commerce, 63% of the homes on the island are owned by seasonal residents.
Do you have a tip or story idea about enclaves where the wealthy vacation? Contact this reporter at email@example.com.
- Razorpay forays into loyalty and rewards segment with PoshVine acquisition
- Don't equate fun with money: Sundar Pichai to employees
- Best Intel-powered laptops for school students
- Festive season is here! Explore the best Intel Laptops for Education
- Reliance is reportedly planning to launch JioPhone 5G in India at a very affordable price
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World