Maryland, Georgia temporarily suspend state gas tax to alleviate surging prices as US ban against Russian oil causes pain at the pump
Marylandand Georgia temporarily suspended state gas taxes amid soaring fuel costs.
- Capitol Hill is struggling to pass legislation that includes a federal gas tax holiday.
Georgia and Maryland residents will receive slight relief at the pump this month, as both states announced a temporary gas tax holiday on Friday.
The legislation comes as US gas prices have surged in recent weeks after the Biden administration banned imports of Russian oil in response to the country's invasion of
Capitol Hill is struggling to pass legislation including a federal gas tax holiday, which would knock off 18.4 cents per gallon. In an unexpected ideological switch, Democrats are pushing for the tax cut while GOP representatives have rejected it as "non-solution" re-election
Other federal initiatives, such as sending out gas cards to Americans, were recently rejected by House Democrats due to expense and inflation concerns, sources told Axios.
Meanwhile, at least 17 states — including California and New York — are exploring local legislation to reduce gas costs, The National Conference of State Legislatures told NBC News. State gas taxes have ranged from $0.08 per gallon in Alaska to $0.58 per gallon in Pennsylvania.
Maryland's bipartisan bill, signed by Republican Gov. Larry Hogan on Friday, eliminates the state's 36.1 cents per gallon gasoline tax for the next month. Georgia's law will suspend the 29.1 cent tax on motor fuel and 32.6 cent tax on diesel up until the end of May.
"As we continue to stand in solidarity against Russian aggression in Ukraine and as Marylanders face the impact of surging inflation with the average price of gas rapidly rising, this bipartisan action will provide some relief from the pain at the pump," Hogan said at the bill signing ceremony.
Maryland Senate President Bill Ferguson added that while
"What we can show as leaders here in the state of Maryland is that we can respond quickly and responsibly," he said.
- Reliance Retail’s new lifestyle store AZORTE goes high-tech with smart trial rooms, self-checkout kiosks
- Amazon’s 2022 Hardware Event — here’s what's new on Kindle, Echos, Fire TV Cube, and Halo Rise
- Jasprit Bumrah ruled out of T20 World Cup with back stress fracture: Report
- Meet the former Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan — the next Chief of Defence Staff
- Akash Ambani’s keeping up the family tradition of breaking into global lists
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World