Nancy Pelosi's matching masks and outfits are a 2020 style statement
- House Speaker
Nancy Pelosihas been consistently matching her cloth face masksto her blazers and dresses.
- Pelosi's face coverings represent both her admirable sense of personal
style, as well as her stance on the importance of mask-wearing.
- Many of Pelosi's face masks are from Donna Lewis, a boutique in Alexandria, Virginia, where she's been shopping for years.
- "Anyone that loves Nancy wants this mask," Chris Lewis, the boutique's owner, told Insider.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi does not seem like the type to throw on a blue surgical face mask — which would clearly clash with most of her bold-colored pantsuits — and call it a day.
Instead, Pelosi regularly matches her masks to her outfits, often choosing face coverings in punchy colors and prints. Her mask-clad ensembles are not only a way of showing that the cloth accessories can be both fashionable and functional, but they also make a political statement.
Pelosi's choice to wear such vibrant masks sets her apart from other political leaders who do not consistently wear a face covering at public appearances, including President Trump.
Pelosi's bold masks show that she stands in line with expert guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC advises that people wear a face covering in public to help curb the spread of COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — which is spread through the form of respiratory droplets.
Pelosi has also proved that it's still possible to have fun with style while wearing one of the CDC-recommended accessories.
In the same way that Dr. Deborah Birx and her wide-spanning collection of scarves garnered a social-media fan base, people have found it hard to ignore Pelosi's face masks that coordinate seamlessly with her clothes.
Whether she's speaking at weekly press conferences at the US Capitol or making live news appearances, the Democratic leader of the House of Representatives consistently sports masks in vibrant hues and prints, ranging from palm leaves to abstract florals.
So far, she's covered just about every color in the rainbow.
Aside from representing her stance on mask-wearing, Pelosi's combination of face coverings and dresses have become a welcome change from the otherwise predictable politician garb that's rampant on C-SPAN.
Since Pelosi is regularly photographed while standing behind a podium or sitting at a desk, it makes sense that her cloth masks of choice complement her dresses or blazers from the waist up.
But the speaker often takes things a step further by coordinating her outfits, quite literally, from mask-to-toe. For example, at a Capitol press conference in August, Pelosi's lemon-slice mask added just the right dose of print to her solid yellow dress and matching pumps.
Pelosi gets many of her masks from Donna Lewis, an upscale boutique in Alexandria, Virginia, located just outside of Washington, DC.
Chris Lewis, the boutique's owner, told Insider that Pelosi has been shopping there for years. When the shop started making its own masks in the spring, Lewis initially sent some of the face coverings to Pelosi. He picked out patterns that he thought would match with colors she often wears.
"Nancy has a great eye for clothing, and that's why I knew which ones she would like," Lewis said of the cloth masks.
Lewis said that after Pelosi appeared on TV in the spring wearing the masks, many of which include the brand's logo, the face coverings became so popular that the boutique was three weeks behind on filling orders.
"Anyone that loves Nancy wants this mask. It really became a new, fun accessory in a tough time," Lewis said. "I have people who come in here and say, 'I saw this on Nancy, and I love it.'"
Donna Lewis' non-medical masks retail for $22 and can be shipped worldwide. They're sewn by the store's in-house tailors and are made using recycled fabrics. Some of the patterns Pelosi has worn are currently in stock on the boutique's website, including the lemon-slice design and the orange fruit print.
Whether the speaker's masks add an unexpected print to her press conference ensembles or coordinate seamlessly with her darker-hued jackets, one thing is certain: Pelosi knows what she's doing when it comes to styling 2020's must-have accessory.
Representatives for Nancy Pelosi did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Read more:
- Why Dr. Deborah Birx wears a different scarf at almost every press conference — and how her style is inspiring people online
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed people what's inside her trendy tote bag, which has been dubbed the 'Bushwick Birkin'
- Designers are plastering the word 'VOTE' onto clothes and accessories as the style surges in popularity
- Banana Republic brought back a necklace made famous by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who called it her 'dissenting collar'
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling