People are loving this TikToker's fresh laundry hack, but a professional cleaner says it could ruin clothes if you're not careful
- A TikTok user shared a hack for keeping
laundrysmelling fresh for longer without dryer sheets.
- She dunked a rag in a mixture of fabric softener and water, rung it out, and tossed it in the dryer.
- This is useful for reducing waste, but it can ruin clothes, professional cleaner Bailey Carson said.
A TikToker is racking up hundreds of thousands of views with a video of how she keeps clothes smelling fresh without buying dryer sheets.While many of her TikTok followers are impressed with the cost-saving, potentially environmentally friendly
The video shows Jimenez dunking a rag in a mixture of fabric softener and water, ringing it out, and putting it in the dryer.The hack keeps clothes smelling fresh for longer without dryer sheets, Jimenez said, and it's really simple.
"My mom has always been a really clean person," Jimenez recently told Insider. "She has all these tips and tricks and that was one of them."Read more: A professional cleaner on TikTok shared her easy trick for cleaning a grease-covered oven without using any harsh chemical cleansers Jimenez starts by pouring fabric softener into a container full of water. She told Insider she uses an equal mixture of water and fabric softener. Then she mixes it together.
Next, she soaks some kind of
"My clothes always smell good after, and I'm saving on dryer sheets," Jimenez said.Several TikTokers have commented that the laundry hack has worked for them.
But Bailey Carson, head of cleaning for Handy, a household services app, cautions that this thrifty hack may not be for everyone.For starters, fabric softer can irritate skin conditions like eczema, Carson told Insider.
"This is an interesting hack, but the need for it will depend on everyone's personal level of thriftiness," Carson also told Insider."Keeping a mix of fabric softener and water in a small container to refill as needed can replace dryer sheets that are often seen as wasteful."Carson said that, while the hack may reduce waste, it could also damage your clothes. "This hack has the additional risk of causing damage to clothes in the drying process such as residue spots and in some cases lifting dye from clothing that can't be reversed," Carson said.
While several TikTok viewers commented warning other viewers that this hack can leave residue spots on clothes, Jimenez told Insider that she hasn't personally experienced this and is still a big fan of the hack."I really try and balance the softener and water mixture and ring out the cloth or sponge I use for that not to happen," she said.
- SEBI asks PNB Housing to halt ₹4,000 crore preferential issue of shares
- Word Music Day 2021: Importance, history, memorable quotes and how to celebrate it during a pandemic
- International Yoga Day — this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for well-being’
- International Yoga Day 2021 — a few quotes to remember and share
- India witnesses decline in daily COVID-19 cases with 58,419 fresh cases, lowest in last 81 days