People are still embarking on spring break trips this year, and Disney World is nearly sold out
Disney Worldis quickly selling out of tickets for March, the popular spring breakmonth.
- For the third week of March, all four parks at the
Orlandoproperty are completely sold out.
travelis down, experts say people are embarking on spring break vacations, and Floridais a popular choice.
According to Disney's ticket booking website, passes are unavailable at all four of the property's parks for both theme park guests and Disney resort guests for the third week in March.
At the time of writing, only Epcot and Animal Kingdom have remaining tickets in March. Disney's Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom have no availability for the rest of the month.
Despite health experts' warnings against travel, people are still embarking on spring break trips, and Florida remains a popular destination.
If the holidays were any indicator, guests can expect crowds of people
Disney World closed its doors on March 16, 2020. Four months later, it reopened at 25% capacity. In November, the parks announced it increased its capacity to 35%. Currently, the parks require guests to wear masks, social distance, and have their temperature checked.
As Insider previously reported, social distancing is encouraged, but it's likely visitors will still encounter large crowds.
Writing for Insider, Daryl Austin said he frequently saw massive groups on his trip to the parks in November.
"I experienced a crowd of people so thick at one point in Adventureland that a woman near me shrieked out to the people in her party: 'Get me out of here! This is crazier than a frat party!'" he wrote.
With the park reaching similar capacities as last November, it's likely today's travelers will face hoards of people.
This may pose even larger risks as the highly transmissible B117 variant- the one first identified in the UK - currently circulates in Florida.
People are looking to spend spring break in warm, domestic destinations
Compared to last year, travel has drastically decreased for the month of March. Flight searches are down 76% from last March on Kayak, a popular flight search engine, Matt Clarke, Kayak's vice president of marketing, previously told Insider in an email.
Despite some universities and schools canceling spring break or encouraging students to stay home, people are still embarking on vacations, and Florida continues to be a top choice.
Those who are traveling are looking for "warm, domestic destinations," Katie Lay, the senior director of database marketing at Hotwire, a popular travel booking site, told Insider.
Orlando has always been a popular destination for spring break, and that remains true this year. In January, travelers were looking to book March trips for places like Orlando, which was Hotwire's second most-booked destination. St. Petersburg and Miami also made the top-five most-booked list.
As Insider has previously reported, no social interaction is risk-free, and the CDC continues to recommend that people do not travel at this time.
If you do decide to travel, Insider has reported on ways to do it safer, and experts have said it's important to wear a mask, quarantine before and after, and get tested regularly.
Disney World Parks did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal
- 70-plus Indian startups show exit door to 21K techies, more pink slips coming
- Steps taken in subsidence-hit Joshimath inadequate, declare Himalayas eco-sensitive zone, say experts
- An app that wants to turn fear of stock markets into fun raises ₹75 lakh from sharks
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip