Photos show the emotional moment Miss Mexico Andrea Meza was crowned the new Miss Universe
MexicoAndrea Meza has been crowned the next Miss Universe.
- In second place was Miss Brazil Julia Gama, followed by Miss Peru Janick Maceta Del Castillo.
- Meza spoke about COVID-19 lockdowns and changing beauty standards during the competition.
Miss Mexico Andrea Meza has been crowned the next Miss Universe.
Mario Lopez, who hosted the show with Olivia Culpo, shouted "Viva Mexico!" as he announced the news.
In second place was Miss Brazil Julia Gama, followed by Miss Peru Janick Maceta Del Castillo.
During the question round, Meza was asked what she would have done differently in her country during the pandemic.
"I believe there's not a perfect way to handle this hard situation," she told the judges. "However, I believe what I would have done is create a lockdown even before everything was that big, because we lost so many lives. And we cannot afford that."
"We have to take care of our people," she added. "I would have taken care of them since the beginning."
During her final statement, Meza was asked to comment on changing beauty standards.
"As we've advanced as a society, we've also advanced in stereotypes," she said. "Beauty is not just how we look. For me, beauty radiates in our spirit and in our hearts. Never permit someone to tell you that you're not valuable."
Earlier in the week, Meza dazzled during the national costume contest with a multicolored bodysuit complete with wings and a headdress that were both adorned with pink, blue, green, and purple feathers.
Meza has a degree in software engineering and is "proud to be a woman who graduated in a male-dominated field," according to the Miss Universe website. She works as a makeup artist and model.
- Rishi Sunak says he would rather lose than win on a false promise
- Flood-hit Kerala villages to launch digi-lockers to keep their valuables safe
- UP hospitals to now have dedicated wards for transgenders
- Aviation regulator removes upper and lower limits on airfares
- This startup offers ‘super’ healthy snacks for the price of Lay’s, Kurkure