Photos taken from a plane flying over the Suez Canal show epic queue of ships as giant container vessel remains stuck
- Aerial photos of the
Suez Canalshow just how bad the traffic jam of ships has become in recent days.
- The canal was completely blocked after a giant
shipcalled the Ever Givenran aground on Tuesday.
- Some container ships have already said they would take a 15,000-mile detour around Africa instead.
Aerial photos from a plane flying over the Suez Canal on Saturday have shown just how bad the traffic jam of ships has become, five days after a giant container ship ran aground and blocked the vital trade route.
The 224,000-ton freighter called the Ever Given has held up more than 300 other ships needing to travel through the channel, one of the world's busiest trade arteries.
At least three container ships have said they would take a 15,000-mile detour around Africa instead after analysts watching the situation said it could take days, even weeks, to dislodge the Ever Given, according to Bloomberg.
The ship is delaying an estimated $9.6 billion of goods each day, according to shipping data.
Efforts are still underway to prise the ship away from the canal's sides, where it got stuck after a sandstorm on Tuesday.
Some progress was made on Saturday after more than a dozen tugboats managed to move the ship slightly.
General Osama Rabie, Chairman of the Suez Canal Authority, told reporters that the vessel could refloat by Sunday after some water had started running underneath it.
"We expect that at any time, the ship could slide and move from the spot it is in," he said, according to the BBC.
The process of removing cargo boxes from the ship is very complex and would take several days.
The Ever Given is one of the world's largest cargo ships, with space for 20,000 twenty-foot metal containers.
- 1,330 recognised startups from gaming and related sectors as on Nov 30: Som Parkash
- Sula Vineyards to open IPO next week from Dec 12-14; GMP already at ₹70 per share
- India to add 9 million gig jobs by 2025 says Indeed report
- From Brahmastra to KGF: The most searched movies on Google in 2022 in India
- Adjusted for inflation, policy rate still remains accommodative, says RBI Governor
- Jio Haptik
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World