'She's All That' fans are worried TikTok star Addison Rae will ruin the remake
- TikTok star Addison Rae was announced as the lead in the upcoming "She's All That" remake, which will swap the genders of its main characters, featuring a teenage girl's perspective.
- Rae, whose real name is Addison Easterling, will star in "He's All That," with her role inspired by Freddy Prinze Jr.'s character in the original.
- Reactions to the casting were mixed, with many fans of the 1999 teen comedy classic irked that a TikTok star with no professional acting background was chosen.
Addison Rae Easterling, known online as just Addison Rae, is the first TikTok star to land a major film role. Easterling was cast as the lead in the upcoming teen comedy "He's All That," a remake of the 1999 classic "She's All That," as first reported by Variety.
This time around, the characters are gender-swapped, so Easterling's will be based on Freddie Prinze Jr.'s Zack Siler, who, after getting dumped by his girlfriend, attempts transforms a nerdy girl (Rachel Leigh Cook) into prom queen.The reboot will be written by R. Lee Fleming, who also wrote the original, and it will be directed by Mark Waters, who previously directed "Mean Girls" and "Freaky Friday." Variety reports that "He's All That" has been "in the works" for years, and that the movie will have a modern twist, as Easterling's character will be an influencer.
AHHHHH!!! My dreams are coming true!!! I’m so excited to finally share the news that i am getting the opportunity to make my acting debut in HE’S ALL THAT which is a remake of one of my all time favorite movies, SHE’S ALL THAT. I’m so grateful for the opportunities that have been presented to me and none of it would have ever happened without every single one of you. I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I can’t wait for you to see it!!! I can’t wait to work with this amazing team and everyone involved in making the film and am so thankful to everyone who gave me this incredible opportunity. THANK YOU!! I’m so excited for y’all to meet Padget!!! ❤️
A post shared by ADDISON RAE (@addisonraee) on Sep 11, 2020 at 1:41pm PDT
"My dreams are coming true!!! I'm so excited to finally share the news that i am getting the opportunity to make my acting debut in HE'S ALL THAT which is a remake of one of my all time favorite movies, SHE'S ALL THAT," Easterling wrote on Instagram.Devotees of "She's All That" were suspicious of the casting news and social media response turned sour in some cases. Easterling is best known on TikTok for her dancing prowess, and she's no stranger to the spotlight as a former trained dancer.
But Easterling has no professional acting experience, and awkward scripted series on networks like Brat TV, which casts young influencers for digital series on YouTube, have shown that TikTok fame and acting don't always go hand in hand (Dixie D'Amelio had a memorable cringe-worthy turn as the lead on a Brat show called "Attaway General")."Remember people, just because they're famous doesn't mean they can act," the most-liked response to Variety's tweet announcing the casting says.Other disappointed reactions included fans of "She's All That" bemoaning the decision to "ruin one of my childhood favorites" — although the 1999 film is itself a take on 1964's "My Fair Lady," which is based on the 1913 play "Pygmalion," which is named after a Greek mythological figure — so the storyline was never totally original.
A post shared by First Ever Tiktok Shaderoom (@tiktokroom) on Sep 11, 2020 at 1:10pm PDT
On TikTokRoom, a popular TikTok gossip page, fans reacted to the news in part by shaming those who attacked Easterling. "I just KNOW if it was charli y'all would say 'OMG so proud of her' 'Good for her' Well deserved. Etc. But when it's Addison.." the top comment on the post reads, referring to the different attitudes toward Easterling and Charli D'Amelio, the most-followed TikToker on the platform.
Many Gen Z TikTok fans have been repeatedly surprised and irate to see popular TikTokers get real-world opportunities, but with more than 60 million TikTok followers and nearly 30 million Instagram followers, Easterling has cemented herself in A-list influencer territory.
- Read more:
- TikToker Addison Rae has become a close friend of the Kardashians, and now she's in a new Skims ad
- Addison Rae said TikTokers can be paid as much as $90,000 for a single video
- TikTok star Charli D'Amelio debuted a super sweet 'Charli' cold brew recipe with Dunkin' Donuts and it tastes like a sugar high
- TikTok star Dixie D'Amelio addressed rumors that she 'fakes seizures for attention' and opened up about her struggles with anxiety and a rare condition
- Everybody in India must get Covid vaccine free, says Kejriwal
- Samsung now lets you buy up to four products in one single EMI as it seeks to boost sales this festive season
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise