Some food-delivery workers in New York City have built makeshift break rooms in parking lots so they can shelter between shifts, according to a report
- Some food-delivery workers in NYC have built makeshift break rooms in parking lots,
- The spaces allow them to recharge bike batteries while eating, napping, and using the restroom.
- One driver said he paid $120 a month for his spot, The Verge reported.
Food-delivery workers in
Verge reporter Josh Dzieza said he visited an underground parking lot near Manhattan's Lincoln Center and saw more than a dozen delivery workers charging their electric bikes, eating lunch, drying their clothes, and napping.
Anthony Chavez, who lives in The Bronx, told the publication that he paid $120 a month to rent his space in the parking lot. He said he spent about half his week working as a delivery driver at a rotisserie-chicken restaurant and the rest working for food-delivery apps.
The Verge reported that spaces in multiple parking lots were being used as shelters by some of the city's roughly 65,000 food-delivery workers.
As well as renting spaces in parking lots, some delivery riders were getting Chase Bank debit cards so they could access the bank's lobbies to stay warm in cold weather, The Verge reported.
Drivers earned an average of more than $33 per hour in Manhattan when they were on the job, including 100% of tips, the spokesperson said.
A Grubhub spokesperson told Insider that supporting delivery workers was "a top priority" for the company.
"That's why we support the proposals the City Council is considering later this month that would provide a number of new protections, including guaranteed bathroom access and giving delivery workers the ability to limit trip distances," the spokesperson said.
The Verge's report comes after videos surfaced on social media showing food-delivery workers cycling down flooded streets in
- Best manual treadmill for home workout in India
- Best table tennis racquets for recreation in India
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i5 processors
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i7 processors
- Best gaming laptops with 11th Gen Intel processors