Tesla has chosen the site of its next US factory
Teslahas selected the site for its next US factory.
- At first, the electric-car maker did not disclose the site's location.
- But after this story was published, Tesla said the factory will be built in Austin, Texas.
- Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion about what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at email@example.com, on Signal at 646-768-4712, or via his encrypted email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tesla has chosen the site of its next US factory, but has not disclosed the site's location. (Update: After this story was published, Tesla said the factory will be built in Austin, Texas.) The electric-car maker made the announcement on Wednesday in its second-quarter earnings release, in which it said "next US Gigafactory site selected" and that "preparations are underway" at the new facility.
Austin, Texas, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, were the final contenders Tesla considered from a list of eight cities, all of which are located in the central US. If the company builds the factory in Austin, it will receive at least $65 million in tax incentives.
Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment on which city it chose.
The company plans to produce its Model Y SUV and upcoming Cybertruck pickup at the new factory. Cybertruck production is set to begin in late 2021.
The upcoming US factory will likely be Tesla's sixth, as the company has plants in California, Nevada, New York, and Shanghai, and is building one in Germany that is set to open in 2021. Only the Nevada and New York plants are not designed for vehicle production. The former produces batteries and the latter makes solar roof-tiles, among other products.
Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion about what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at email@example.com, on Signal at 646-768-4712, or via his encrypted email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 479 leaked photos purporting to show Putin's secret palace, with an ice rink and pole-dancing room, published by Navalny foundation
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- The first pig-heart transplant patient was denied a human heart after failing to follow doctors' orders
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter