Tesla opens a showroom on Native American land in New Mexico, getting around the state's ban on automakers selling vehicles straight to consumers
Teslaopened its first showroom in New Mexico, on Native American lands.
- The location lets it bypass a state ban on selling straight to consumers, The Santa Fe New Mexican reported.
- At the center, people can test Teslas before they buy or get their vehicles serviced.
The move allows it to bypass legislation that bars automakers from selling their vehicles straight to consumers in the state, rather than through third-party dealers, the publication reported. Nambé Pueblo in Santa Fe County isn't subject to the state law.
Prospective customers can test Teslas at the center, and Tesla owners can take their cars there for repairs, the report said.
This is the first Tesla sales, service, and delivery center in the state, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said.
To make the center in New Mexico, Tesla repurposed a defunct casino in Nambé Pueblo, Grisham said.
Phillip Perez, the governor of Nambé Pueblo, told the publication, "We are proud to be the first tribe to have Tesla on Indian lands."
Brian Dear, the founder and president of the club, told The New Mexican that the new Tesla center "changes everything for owners" and would help boost electric vehicle sales.
"It's a gigantic thing for New Mexico," Dear said. "It's such a significant milestone."
Jerry Ortiz y Pino, a member of New Mexico's Senate, has been pushing to overturn the law restricting who can sell vehicles in the state.
In 2019, he sponsored a bill to allow non-franchised car manufacturers, such as Tesla, to sell and service their vehicles in New Mexico. He told The New Mexican that the state's auto dealers had "absolutely opposed" the legislation. The bill ultimately fell through.
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles