The best extension cords
- From temporary uses like hanging lights during the holidays or powering tools for a home repair project, to more permanent applications like connecting a floor lamp to that outlet hidden behind the couch, extension cords are a must-have for modern life
- The Coleman 16 Gauge Extension Cord is our top choice because it's durable, flexible, and suitable for just about every application in and around the home.
Extension cords aren't glamorous. They aren't interesting or exciting, and you probably don't spend much time thinking about them in the course of any given day. But when you need an extension cord - whether to power a leaf blower or saw, to light up the trees and roofline of your property with thousands of festive lights, or to connect the television to an outlet across the room - having the right extension cord is the difference between a quick and easy solution and serious bout of frustration.
The good news is that most well-made extension cords will last for years and years. When considering which is the best extension cord for your needs, think about where you will use it (inside at home, inside at work, outside in a static placement, or outside moving around during use), when you will use it (for winter holiday lights, fall leaf blowing, or summer weed trimming, e.g.) and what devices will be connected to the cord (how many amps does that skill saw need for ideal performance, again?). Read on to read more about the best extension cords.
Here are the best extension cords you can buy:
- Best extension cord overall: Coleman 16 Gauge Extension Cord
- Best budget extension cord: AmazonBasics Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord
- Best extension cord for offices: HOLSEM Power Strip Extension Cord
- Best professional extension cord: Watt's Wire 14 Gauge Extension Cord
- Best indoor extension cord: Aurum Cables Extension Cord
Updated on 10/30/2019 by Monica Chin: Updated pricing, links, and formatting.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.