The game console inside the new Tesla Model X and S is powered by the chipmaker behind the PlayStation 5 and Xbox
- AMD's CEO said the company made the computer chips that power
Tesla's new in-car gamingsystem.
- Elon Musk has said the system will have processing power that's similar to the
- The new gaming system is expected to debut later this month when Tesla releases its Model S Plaid.
The system will have gaming-console-quality graphics with processing power just below Sony's PS5, AMD CEO Lisa Su said during the company's annual Computex keynote.
"We look forward to giving gamers a great platform for AAA gaming," Su said.
She also said that higher-powered processors would kick in only when the infotainment system was running the AAA games that require more power, which would allow the systems to save battery power when running games that require less processing power.
In January, Tesla announced its upgraded Model X and S cars would come with a new high-powered gaming system that would rival top gaming consoles like PlayStation and Xbox. The company's website said the system would have up to 10 teraflops of power, just 0.3 teraflops shy of the PS5's processing power. Su confirmed the chips that incorporate CPU and GPU into a single chip would have up to 10 teraflops of processing power.
The games can be played on two Tesla screens in the new Model S Plaid, which is expected to be released later this month. There is a 17-inch screen at the front of the vehicle, as well as a smaller rear screen for passengers.
On Saturday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said deliveries of the new car would start on June 10. The car's release was delayed by several months because of the global shortage of computer chips that power the gaming console, as well as the vehicle's navigation system, Autopilot, and Bluetooth.
Last month, Musk told investors at the company's quarterly meeting that pandemic supply-chain issues had caused "insane difficulties" for Tesla. Tesla is even toying with the idea of buying chips for its cars in advance, Financial Times reported.
AMD said last month it anticipated at least another six months of video-game-chip shortages.
This won't be the first time Tesla
- Best HP laptop in India 2022: Which one is for you?
- Towards 'zero hunger': Odisha tops 'State Ranking Index' first under under National Food Security Act; UP, Andhra, and Gujarat also score high
- Best face creams and lotions for men in India
- Monsoon rain wreaks havoc in Himachal and Karnataka, orange alert in Gujarat
- Apple’s MacBook Air with M2 chip will go on sale from July 15, pre-orders starting July 8