The 'reclusive' billionaire who owns the LA Lakers and Coachella is also the richest man in Colorado - here's how Philip Anschutz makes and spends his $11.4 billion fortune
- Philip Anschutz is an American businessman who's worth an estimated $11.4 billion, according to Forbes.
- He's one of only two people who have made the Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans every year since the first version was published in 1982.
- The 79-year-old billionaire made his fortune in industries including oil, railroads, telecom, real estate, and entertainment.
- His company, Anschutz Entertainment Group, owns the popular Coachella music festival, the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team, and the Los Angeles Kings hockey team.
- He also owns a cruise ship line and two luxury resorts.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Anschutz has an estimated personal fortune of $11.4 billion, according to Forbes.Anschutz's company did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment on his behalf for this story.
Take a look at how the billionaire makes and spends his fortune.
Philip Anschutz is an American businessman who's worth an estimated $11.4 billion, according to Forbes.
Anschutz has been a billionaire for a long time. He's one of only two people who've made the Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans every year since the first version was published in 1982.Advertisement
Anschutz went on to make investments in the railroad industry in the 1980s and '90s.
Anschutz then started investing in the entertainment business.Advertisement
In 1994, Anschutz founded Anschutz Entertainment Group, which today claims to own more teams and manage more sporting events than any other company in the world.
He also owns one-third of the Los Angeles Lakers.Advertisement
AEG owns Staples Center, the home arena to the Lakers, the Kings, the Los Angeles Clippers, and the Los Angeles Sparks.
Beyond sports, Anschutz owns the wildly popular Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.Advertisement
The Colorado billionaire's empire extends beyond sports, music, and entertainment. Anschutz owns Windstar Cruises, a boutique cruise line with just six ships.
His assets also include at least two five-star resorts.Advertisement
According to The Land Report magazine, Anschutz is the 27th-largest landowner in the US.
Anschutz keeps out of the public eye. In 2012, George Parker for QUARTZ wrote that Anschutz is "America's most reclusive billionaire."Advertisement
Anschutz and his wife, Nancy, are longtime residents of Denver, Colorado.
Anschutz has donated millions of dollars to charity, including to Republican political candidates and conservative causes.Advertisement
The entertainment mogul has also invested in the publishing business.
- South Korea reports 19 new virus cases
- WHO temporarily suspends trial of hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 156 new infections
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 147 new infections
- Rajasthan eases lockdown norms, allows taxis, auto rickshaws to operate in red zones