The top 10 cities around the world with the most ultra-wealthy people, ranked
Edward Berthelot/Getty Images
- Ten cities account for 18.9% of the world's ultra-wealthy population, according to Wealth-X's 2019 World Ultra Wealth Report.
- The report defines the world's ultra-wealthy population as those with $30 million or more in net worth.
- The US has six cities on the list.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Where are the world's richest people living?You can find 18.9% of the global ultra-wealthy population across 10 cities, according to Wealth-X's 2019 World Ultra Wealth Report. The report analyzed data from Wealth-X's global database of more than one million records of the world's richest people. Advertisement
It defines the world's ultra-wealthy population as those with $30 million or more in net worth.
Six of the top cities on the list are in the US, two are in Europe, and two are in Asia.Here are the cities worldwide which have the biggest ultra-wealthy populations, ranked in ascending order. Note that Hong Kong was included on both Wealth-X's top cities and top countries lists, as it's a semi-autonomous, special administrative region of China.
10. Dallas, Texas, is the sixth wealthiest US city.
9. Wealth in Washington, DC, has reached new heights.Advertisement
8. San Francisco, California, could be home to thousands of new millionaires by the end of 2019.
7. Chicago, Illinois, saw a nearly 3% increase in its ultra-wealthy population.Advertisement
6. Paris, France, has fortunes rooted in food, fashion, and luxury good industries.
5. London, England, is the leading ultra-wealthy city in Europe.Advertisement
4. Los Angeles, California, has the second-most number of ultra-wealthy people in the US.
3. Tokyo, Japan, is home to 40% of the country's wealthy class.Advertisement
2. Hong Kong fell from its No. 1 ranking in 2017 thanks to a downward trend in Asian equity markets and a softening Chinese economy.
1. New York City, New York, accounts for 11% of the US's ultra-rich cohort.Advertisement
- Man in famous 9/11 photo dies from COVID-19 in Florida
- Assam registers record 1,202 new COVID-19 cases; tally crosses 11,000-mark
- Delhi govt asks DMs to start COVID-19 survey outside containment zones
- 1,168 new cases in Pune on Sat, COVID-19 count now 27,311
- Nitish Kumar, 14 Bihar CMO staffers test negative for COVID-19