The viral 'Bernie's Mittens' crochet doll listed on eBay led to a charity donation of more than $40,000
- Etsy shop owner Tobey King created a "Bernie's Mittens" crochet doll that went viral.
- King listed the original doll on
eBayto raise money for Meals on Wheels America.
- The highest bid was $20,300, and eBay matched that number to bring the total to $40,600.
Inauguration Day was filled with lots of stunning fashion moments, from Michelle Obama's plum-colored suit to Vice President Kamala Harris' purple look. However, the unexpected
A photo of the Vermont senator wearing a Burton parka, hand-knit mittens, and a surgical blue mask went viral as people edited him into everything from iconic New York locations to scenes from popular movies.In order to make the most of all the attention, Sanders turned the
The meme also inspired Tobey King, the owner of the Etsy shop Tobey Time Crochet, to
"I was talking with another crafter friend who told me Bernie had just sold some hoodies and donated all the proceeds to Meals on Wheels Vermont, and I knew that that is what I wanted to do with the doll I made," King told CNN. "With the attention, it was getting I was hopeful Meals on Wheels would get a good donation."Bidding for the doll started at 99 cents, and it had reached $20,300 by the time the auction closed on Tuesday. A spokesperson for eBay told CNN the company decided to match the winning bid to "help support even more people in need," which brought the total donation to Meals on Wheels America up to $40,600.
"Senator Sanders has long been one of Meals on Wheels' biggest advocates," a representative for Meals on Wheels America told Insider. "It's incredible to see how his unexpected moment in the spotlight is inspiring others to join the fight to address senior hunger and isolation, as well."
King told CNN it took her seven hours to crochet the 9-inch doll, which was made out of acrylic and cotton yarn."I just really like and support Bernie. I think he's great," she told the publication. "The attention that my Bernie doll and I have received is unbelievable. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude."
Representatives for King and eBay did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Google may introduce 'Wear OS screen recording' tool, says report
- Researchers develop new data transfer system ten times faster than USB
- Ayodhya's Ram Temple collects nearly ₹2,100 crore funds for its construction, says associated Trust
- Increase public health care budget in Maharashtra: Activists
- FPI invests ₹25,787 crore in Indian equities in February