TikTok star and influencer Siya Kakkar is dead at age 16, according to her manager
- Indian TikTok personality Siya Kakkar, whose lip-syncing and dance videos earned her over 1 million followers, has died in New Delhi.
- The 16-year-old's family has not made a statement about the cause of death, but India Today reports that Kakkar died by suicide.
- The teenager's manager confirmed her passing with an emotional Instagram post in which he called her "the best artist."
- Since her passing, Kakkar's TikTok account has witnessed a huge spike in followers. As of Friday afternoon, her account had 2 million followers.
- Kakkar's recent videos, all of which boast millions of views, are flooded with comments from grieving fans.
Indian TikTok star Siya Kakkar, who amassed over 1 million followers on the platform with her lip-syncing and dance videos, passed away on June 25 in New Delhi. She was 16 years old.
While the family has not specified a cause of death, India Today reports Kakkar died by suicide.
Kakkar's talent manager, Arjun Sarin, confirmed the popular creator's passing on Instagram, sharing a photo of the smiling teenager.
"No more words," he captioned the post, adding the heart and crying emojis. "You will always be the best artist. Rest In Peace @siya_kakkar."
Bollywood photographer Viral Bhayani also expressed his sympathies on Instagram, writing that he had just spoken with Sarin who said that Kakkar had previously been "in a good mood and perfectly alright."
"If you are feeling depressed please don't do this," Bhayani implored his followers.
Sad news 16 year old sweet tik-toker @siya_kakkar died by suicide . Before publishing this I spoke to her Talent management agency head Arjun Sarin who just spoke to her last night for a song collaboration and he says she was in a good mood and perfectly alright. Even he has no clue what went wrong that she had to go this way. You go through her videos and you can she was so good in her content, it's really sad that she chose this path. If you are feeling depressed please dont do this
In just one day, the post received over 90,000 likes and spurred rampant speculation among fans about the circumstances surrounding Kakkar's passing.
Sarin confirmed to Insider that he had spoken with Kakkar the night before her passing and everything seemed "normal."
"She was an honest, fun-loving girl and I am shocked by this incident," he said. "I will always remember her as a great artist."
The teenager's TikTok follower count has skyrocketed since news of her passing broke — as of Friday afternoon, Kakkar's account had 2 million followers.
Her last TikTok video, which she posted the day before her passing, features the 16-year-old lipsyncing a Bollywood song from a rooftop.
The video has racked up millions of views and thousands of comments from devastated fans.
"RIP Siya. We never know what is going on in anyone's mind or life," one follower wrote. "We should always pay attention to our loved ones. Sometimes they need our help."
Update: This story has been updated to include comments from Arjun Sarin.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Zookeepers were stumped when a female gibbon got pregnant while alone in her cage. 2 years later they say there was a tiny hole that she and a neighboring male used to copulate through.
- Not just LIC, 32 mutual fund houses have exposure to Adani Group stocks
- Over 16 lakh people renounced Indian citizenship since 2011
- TRAI's move to display callers' names endangers privacy, imposes costs says industry body IAMAI
- This V-day, Indians want ChatGPT to play Cupid & write their love letters
- Rate hikes will not impact collections efficiency of NBFCs: ICRA
- No new Covid variants emerged during China's recent outbreak: Lancet study