Videos show a part-cleared Suez Canal after the huge container ship blocking it was refloated
- Videos from the Suez Canal on Monday show how much the Ever Given's position has shifted.
- The container ship, which once completely blocked the channel, is refloated but not fully free.
- Authorities in Egypt said they would try to move it farther Monday. The canal remains closed.
Videos show clear water in the Suez Canal after the Ever Given was repositioned Monday following a massive effort to clear the vital shipping channel.
The massive container ship has blocked the canal for six days, causing havoc to global shipping as tugboats and dredgers work to free it.
But the ship has now been partly freed and its engines restarted, as shown in this video posted by the academic Mohammed Soliman:
-Mohammed Soliman (@ThisIsSoliman) March 29, 2021
This image from the ship-tracking website MarineTraffic.com shows the position of the Ever Given at about 9 a.m. local time:
This video, posted by the New York Times reporter Evan Hill, shows what that gap looks like from the ground level:
-Evan Hill (@evanchill) March 29, 2021
The ship was refloated Monday in a gradual process helped by the rising tide, The New York Times reported.
More work needs to be done before the ship can move fully. Its bow - the front of the ship - is still said to be stuck in shallow water at one end of the canal.
According to Lloyd's List, a prominent shipping journal, 429 vessels are backed up hoping to use the canal once it reopens.
But the progress has been a clear relief to mariners and authorities. This video, posted to Twitter by a person on a nearby vessel at about 5 a.m. local time, shows a mariner giving a thumbs-up:
-Mhmdzaki (@mhmdzaki69) March 29, 2021
According to the Suez Canal Authority, the Ever Given's stern was moved 334 feet away from the bank, where it had previously been 13 feet away.
The efforts to free the vessel have occupied the Egyptian authorities and the Dutch dredging experts Boskalis since early Tuesday. The team has been using a combination of winches and tugboats to push and pull the Ever Given, as well as specialized suction dredgers to move silt from around it.
-ܡܐܪܝܘ (@MarioLeb79) March 27, 2021
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- Best ultrawide monitors in India
- INTERVIEW: Old-school regulatory framework for traditional assets won’t work for cryptocurrencies and blockchain, says CrossTower CEO
- Omicron variant: Number of suspects mounts to 37 in Delhi, 28 test positive for COVID-19
- Delhivery gets closer to drone delivery with the acquisition of an American company
- 64 new posts created for Ministry of Cooperation from CSS and CSSS, says Union government