'We need some help': Texas TikTok users are posting about their winter storm struggles, from families without heat to frozen kitchens
- President Biden declared a state of emergency in
Texasduring an unprecedented blizzard hitting the state.
- Millions have been stuck without electricity, leaving many without heat in the freezing cold.
- Many people in Texas posted viral TikToks about the damage the unprecedented
snowstorm is causing.
Huddled together under the covers, four children were sleeping peacefully next to a fire. While they slept, their father turned to
Jones' post was just one example of the millions of Texans stuck without power for days, as many turned to social media to show the damage from the unprecedented snowstorm and freezing
In single-digit temperatures without electricity, people across Texas were left freezing cold. TikTok posts from Texans over the last few days show families huddling for warmth, building fires, and asking for help. Videos on TikTok with the #TexasStorm hashtag have totaled 13.1 million views.
Another video with 7.4 million views showed water frozen all over a kitchen, with icicles dripping down cabinets.
One video posted Monday that has 4.5 million views shows a Texas woman doing a fake
In the skit, she approaches another woman who is pretending to be on a run. "Never miss a Monday," the runner says, before slipping and falling in the snow.Another video posted Friday, which has more than 5 million views as of Wednesday afternoon, shows a woman wearing oven mitts while she tries to scrape ice off her car. "I have a whole other respect for Michigan," she wrote in the caption.
Cristina Marsola, a 29-year-old from California who posted that video while visiting family in East Texas, told Insider that seeing other TikToks during the disaster help her and others "understand what really is going on" in Texas.
"People are losing their homes and their lives," Marsola said. "It breaks my heart."
- Here’s a tiny washing machine that cleans your TWS earbuds in two minutes
- 106-year-old woman in Madhya Pradesh gets her first COVID-19 vaccine
- Facebook's ad delivery system shows gender bias, says new study
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel