Google doodles physicist Joseph Antoine Ferdinand Plateau — who brought cinema to life
Google Doodleis celebrating physicist Joseph Antoine Ferdinand Plateau’s 218th birthday today.
- He invented the device
phenakistoscope, which brought the concept of cinema into existence.
- He was known for his work in
physiological optics— showing the impact of light and colour on the human eye.
He showed how the human mind captures and perceives a string of actions or motions over a span of time as a video.
"Inspired by the mesmerizing animated discs, the animated Doodle art was made to reflect Plateau's style, with different imagery and themes in them on different device platforms," NDTV reported citing Google’s description of the Doodle.
Hailing from Brussels, Belgium,
His experiments in the field of physiological optics led to the creation of stroboscopic device. This device consisted of two discs, rotating in opposite directions. Both the discs had different visuals — windows and a string of pictures of a dancer.
When the two images merged, it looked like an artist performing dance.
This led to the invention of the spinning cardboard phenakistoscope that created an animation effect. However, the physicist lost his vision later, but continued to study science and performing experiments.
AdvertisementGoogle Doodle celebrates the life of Dr Herbert Kleber — who changed the perception of drug addiction
Google Doodle is celebrating Vikram Sarabhai’s 100th birthday — the father of Indian space programme
Google celebrates its 21st birthday with a retro doodle featuring desktop PC
Popular on BI
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do