Mukesh Ambani gets his ‘richest Indian’ crown back with a wealth of $104.4 billion
- After a brief period,
Mukesh Ambaniis back to being the richest Indian.
- The Reliance Industries’ honcho has seen his company’s market capitalisation surge more than 25% in the last three months.
- Mukesh Ambani’s rival, Gautam Adani, on the other hand, has seen his group companies’ value decline by over 16%.
Ambani regaining the top position is driven by a rebound in the Reliance Industries stock – which is up by more than 25% since early March.
According to the Forbes rich list, Mukesh Ambani’s wealth stood at $104.4 billion, gaining $6.2 billion in the last one day. On the other hand, Gautam Adani’s wealth stood at $100.7 billion.
According to Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Ambani’s wealth stood at $99.7 billion, while Gautam Adani’s stood at $98.7 billion. Adani now stands at the 9th place – a little over a month ago, he was tied with Bill Gates as the fourth richest person in the world.
Just a few days ago, Adani crashed out of the $100 billion club. Since his peak, Adani has lost nearly $25 billion in wealth, but he still has 10 times more wealth than what he had two years ago.
Mukesh Ambani added an average of $2 billion wealth per month in 2022
According to Forbes, Mukesh Ambani is the sixth richest person in the world, adding $10 billion to his wealth in the first five months of 2022.
Born in Yemen, Ambani took over the reins of Reliance Industries from his father Dhirubhai Ambani in 2002, after the latter passed away. Since then, the share price of Reliance Industries has surged from ₹42 to ₹2,800 today, with several instances of bonus shares and stock splits during the period.
Both Adani and Ambani run conglomerates with interests across multiple sectors within and outside India. Ambani's interests include energy, telecom, retail and media. He is also looking to expand his interests in high-end tech innovation that can transform both his consumer-facing businesses.
Adani, on the other hand, has been strengthening his FMCG brands with a legacy in power, infrastructure - and has recently added cement and media to the many interests that he holds.
Mukesh Ambani sets sights on defence – showcases Made in India software for aircraft design
Gautam Adani crashes out of the $100 billion club, but still is 10x richer than he was 2 years back
Gautam Adani is now as wealthy as Bill Gates – rally in Adani group
Popular on BI
- ‘Padman of 2022’: Shark Peyush Bansal offers founder of women’s hygiene startup PadCare a blank cheque
- Gautam Adani lost $52 billion in 6 days. That's over 3 times what Sam Bankman-Fried lost in a similar timeframe.
- A 45-year-old biotech CEO may have reduced his biological age by at least 5 years through a rigorous medical program that can cost up to $2 million a year, Bloomberg reported
- Logistics startup FarEye lays off 90 employees, 2nd job cut in 8 months
- Vani Jayaram, the voice behind 10,000 songs, passes away at 78
- Not the first time FPO is taken back, won't affect image of the country: FM
- India's cancer cases will surge to 20 lakh per year by 2026: AIIMS
- Babies remember faces despite face masks, says a study based in California