One of India's oldest billionaires is a serial investor in startups
- His latest investment is into Tork Motors — an electric vehicle startup.
- Before this, Tata invested in taxi aggregators, e-vehicle makers to jewellery lines.
- And, he has made good bets too, as the valuations of all the startups he backed, have zoomed.
AdvertisementAfter heading the $100 billion Tata Group — India’s largest conglomerate — for 24 years,
His latest investment is into Tork Motors — an electric vehicle startup. Tork Motors will introduce its flagship motorcycle, T6X in the coming months.
Tata is among the world’s most influential industrialists. He set up a RNT Associate in 2009, three years before retiring from Tata Sons.
Since then, Tata invested in taxi aggregators, e-vehicle makers to jewellery lines. And, he has made good bets too, as the valuations of all the startups he backed, have zoomed.
"The thing that I am intrigued by first is a start-up that has an interesting concept which excites me. If it doesn’t excite me, I really don’t need to make an investment in that company," said Tata.
Being associated with the Tata name also brought the much-needed endorsement for other investors into these ventures. "His involvement is really inspiring when it comes to existing employees and even attracting top talent,” says Nidhi Agarwal, founder of startup Kaaryah who also managed to bring Tata on-board, as an advisor.
Here are some of the startups he invested in:
Ola Electric Vehicle
Popular on BI
- Best ad-free games for iPhones
- Jeep Meridian SUV launched in India – price, features and everything you need to know
- Navjot Singh Sidhu’s road rage case — looking back at the 34 year old timeline
- TCS, Wipro & Infosys saw a massive selloff after Walmart & Target’s revenues fell — explaining the domino effect
- Flipkart claims to be the second biggest ‘buy now, pay later’ player ahead of Paytm, Amazon
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction