Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes reportedly got married in secret to hotel-heir Billy Evans
Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images; Samantha Lee/Business Insider
- Elizabeth Holmes, the founder of blood-testing startup Theranos, has reportedly got married in secret.
- Holmes has been in a relationship with Billy Evans, a 27-year-old heir to a hotel chain, and the two have been living in San Francisco.
- Before getting into a relationship with Evans and being charged with fraud for her Theranos dealings, Holmes was dating a fellow Theranos executive, Sunny Balwani.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Elizabeth Holmes, the founder of disgraced blood-testing startup Theranos, reportedly got married recently in a secret wedding ceremony.Sources told Vanity Fair reporter Nick Bilton that Holmes had married her boyfriend, 27-year-old hotel heir named Billy Evans. Bilton said no Theranos employees were invited to the wedding, even though she's "still friendly" with some of her former coworkers.
The couple has kept a low profile and is rarely spotted out in public. The couple was living in a $5,000-a-month apartment near San Francisco's Lombard Street, but they recently moved. Holmes reportedly wears Evan's signet ring from his alma mater, MIT, on a chain around her neck.Read more: Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes is engaged and living in a luxury apartment with her hotel-heir fiancé, William 'Billy' Evans
After Page Six reported last week that Holmes may have secretly gotten married, Bilton confirmed the news with his sources, the Vanity Fair reporter said in an episode of his podcast "Inside the Hive."Bilton floated several theories as to why they got married, including that Holmes needs access to Evans' funds to pay for her legal bills. Holmes is facing almost a dozen federal charges of fraud related to her time at Theranos, a biotech startup once valued by investors at as much as $9 billion, that shut down after it was revealed to be based on faulty science and bogus claims.Now, Holmes and her previous boyfriend - Theranos' president Sunny Balwani - are facing up to 20 years in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines. The next status hearing is scheduled for July 1, and the trial could start as early as July 8.
A representative for Holmes did not immediately return a request for comment.
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar