Theranos just settled its lawsuit with Walgreens
The settlement dismisses the lawsuit, concluding that there was "no finding or implication of liability."
In November 2016, Walgreens filed a $140 million lawsuit against Theranos, accusing Theranos of a breach of contract. Walgreens had ended its relationship with Theranos a few months prior in June 2016. It had operated Theranos Wellness Centers, where people could go have their blood tested in the company's stores.
Until October 2016, Theranos's business model was based around the idea that it ran blood tests using proprietary technology that requires only a small amount of blood. Since then, the company has pivoted to focus solely on the company's miniLab technology and is considering renting out its headquarters in Palo Alto, California.
The settlement with Walgreens is the last in a series of major settlements between Theranos and investors, as well as the state of Arizona.
- On April 17, Theranos said that it had settled up with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the government agency responsible for regulating blood-testing labs. As part of the settlement, Theranos has to pay $30,000, and the company won't be able to own or operate a clinical lab within the next two years. In return, the CMS is no longer revoking Theranos's CLIA certification, which is needed to run a blood-testing lab.
- On April 18, Theranos agreed to pay Arizona $4.65 million to refund anyone who paid to take one of Theranos's blood tests, and will also pay $225,000 to cover civil penalties and attorneys' fees.
- And on May 1, Theranos settled two lawsuits with Partner Fund Management, a hedge fund that invested $96.1 million in the company.
View all Offers
Amazon Brand - Solimo Medusa Engineered Wood Wardrobe walnut finish ,3 Doors₹ 10999₹ 18000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Alen 6 Seater Fabric RHS L Shape Sofa Set (Blue)₹ 32999₹ 42000Buy On
- 45% OFF
Amazon Brand - Solimo Swerve Height Adjustable Plastic Laptop & Utility Table with Cup Holder (Black)₹ 1169₹ 2200Buy On
- 35% OFF
Duroflex LiveIn - Pressure Relieving, Memory Foam, Roll Pack, 6 Inch King Size Medium Firm Mattress with Superior Comfort and Anti Microbial Fabric (72 X 72 X 6 Inches)₹ 11759₹ 19999Buy On
Wipro Furniture Arena Wood;Engineering Wood Office Desk; Study Desk(Beech Finish,Beech)₹ 12499₹ 18200Buy On
Theranos has been under fire since October 2015 after the Journal published an investigation that questioned the accuracy of its blood test. Eventually, one of the company's lab-testing locations was shut down, and its founder - Elizabeth Holmes - was originally barred for two years from running a clinical lab, later settling with CMS, the government agency responsible for regulating blood-testing labs by agreeing to not own or operate a clinical lab within the next two years.
- HUL spent Rs 1,193 crore on advertising between October and December 2021
- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant and Ravichandran Ashwin included in ICC Men's Test team of the Year 2021
- One in five Urban Company professionals took home at least ₹38,000 a month, claims the company
- Rythu Bandhu scheme - Telangana government deposits ₹7,400 crore into the bank accounts of 62 lakh farmers
- As tepid two wheeler sales hurt Bajaj Auto’s profitability, stock slides 4%