There are 3 body shapes - here's what each reveals about your health
What body shape are you?
Apple, Pear, or Hourglass. These are the 3 main body types, according to doctors. Which one you have can say a lot about your health and could explain why it's so hard to lose weight.
"Apples" carry extra weight around the waist.
This is where a dangerous type of fat often accumulates. It's called visceral fat and it penetrates deep under the skin. It builds up around the organs, harming them over time.
The result is a higher risk of: Heart disease, High blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, Certain cancers like colon and uterine cancer.
The upside? Visceral fat is the easiest type to get rid of with diet and exercise. So, "apples" often lose weight faster than other body shapes.
However, "pears" have a harder time losing weight.
That's because "pears" store most excess fat in their lower half. This stubborn fat is commonly called "passive fat". While it's not as dangerous as visceral fat it places extra stress on the legs.
This can increase the risk of: Varicose veins, Degenerative knee and leg joint diseases. The upside? "Pears" are at lower risk of the diseases that "apples" often face.
Then there are those shaped like an hourglass (for women) or rectangle (for men). These people tend to carry extra weight all over. That includes visceral fat around the midsection.
So, they're also at risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Luckily, diet and exercise can reduce the health risks.
So which shape are you?
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- JioTag — A pocket-friendly alternative to Apple AirTag for finding your lost belongings
- Realme 11 Pro Plus vs Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus – the under ₹30,000 phone to buy
- How Tata Communications plans to chart its financial turnaround
- Railway jobs: 12,000 recruited under 'Rozgar Mela' initiative
- List of famous things to buy in Goa