There are plans to evacuate the Queen if there are riots over Brexit
Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
- The Queen could be evacuated if there are riots over Brexit.
- There are plans in place to scatter members of the Royal Family in houses around the country if things get violent.
- The plans were put in place in 1962.
- But there is no guarantee the royals would actually leave.
LONDON - British officials have revived Cold War emergency plans to relocate the royal family should there be riots in London if Britain suffers a disruptive departure from the European Union next month, two Sunday newspapers reported."These emergency evacuation plans have been in existence since the Cold War, but have now been repurposed in the event of civil disorder following a no-deal Brexit," the Sunday Times said, quoting an unnamed source from the government's Cabinet Office, which handles sensitive administrative issues.Advertisement
The Mail on Sunday also said it had learnt of plans to move the royal family, including Queen Elizabeth, to safe locations away from London.
Britain's government is struggling to get parliamentary support for a Brexit transition agreement with the EU before the departure date of March 29, and the government and businesses are preparing contingency plans for a "no-deal" Brexit.Business groups have warned of widespread disruption if there are lengthy delays to EU imports due to new customs checks, and even possible shortages of food and medicine.
Last month an annual speech by the 92-year-old queen to a local women's group was widely interpreted in Britain as a call for politicians to reach agreement over Brexit.Jacob Rees-Mogg, a Conservative lawmaker and keen supporter of Brexit, told the Mail on Sunday he believed the plans showed unnecessary panic by officials over a no-deal Brexit, as senior royals had remained in London during World War Two bombing.But the Sunday Times said an ex-police officer formerly in charge of royal protection, Dai Davies, expected Queen Elizabeth would be moved out of London if there was unrest.Advertisement
"If there were problems in London, clearly you would remove the royal family away from those key sites," Davies was quoted as saying.
A senior government source told the Express that this is not a case of "project fear.""There are dozens of contingency planners whose job is to envisage every possible eventuality," they said. "They would be negligent if they didn't include the Royals in that, however far-fetched the scenario might seem."Advertisement
The plan was apparently originally drawn up in 1962 following the Cuban Missile Crisis, and was named Operation Candid. The plans included sending Royal Family members to country houses all over the country with special armed guards.
There is no guarantee the evacuations would actually happen, though. During World War II, the Royal Family refused to leave London.(Reporting by David Milliken, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien)Advertisement
- Best yoga mats
- IndiGo to raise ₹4,000 crore through stake sale
- Supreme Court adjourns AGR case hearing to August 14
- ICICI Bank sets floor price for QIP at ₹351.36 per share — to decide on allotment on August 14
- McKinsey, Facebook, Amazon, Nokia — and some other companies looking for a product manager right now