There's a reason legendary butcher Pat LaFreida endorsed this $1,200 at-home overhead grill - I've been using it, and there's simply no better way to cook meat, pizza, or fish
- The $1,200 Otto Wilde OFB Grill is my new favorite cooking appliance. I've seared steak, blackened calamari, grilled vegetables, whole-fried fish, and outdone every pizza joint in the borough of Brooklyn (*dodges rotten tomato*), all within a tiny corner of my backyard.
- It's a highly simple, yet powerful overhead broiler that approaches infernal temperatures, right in the comfort of your own backyard (or very, very well ventilated kitchen).
- The Otto Wilde OFB Grill is even endorsed by legendary butcher Pat LaFrieda. I spoke with him about why this grill earned his signature of approval. "Do you see how hot this thing gets?" was his resounding response. "You just can't get this at home."
- The price of Otto Wilde's OFB (Over-Fired Broiler) might put you off at first, but consider the cost of a good propane (or even charcoal) grill and a pizza oven, and you're already easily at the $1,200 mark.
Otto Wilde's OFB (Over-Fired Broiler) is a consumer-sized, restaurant-grade overhead grill (also known as a "sally" or salamander grill, finishing grill, or hotel grill) that gets up to a scorching 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. It's mainly designed for cooking and finishing steak, which is why it's one of the only grills ever to earn an endorsement from legendary meat man Pat LaFrieda, who provides meat to some of the United States' finest restaurants and steakhouses.
If you've spent any time in the restaurant industry, you know exactly what a sally is, and exactly what it does. But if you don't have the slightest clue, it's a highly simple, yet powerful appliance that approaches infernal temperatures, right in the comfort of your own backyard (or very well ventilated kitchen).
Yes, the $1,200 price is shock-inducing, but let's get that out of the way, right out front. How much are you willing to spend on a propane grill for your backyard? And do you have any interest in owning a pizza oven, at least someday? An average propane grill is going to run you at least a few hundred dollars, and a pizza oven will easily set you back $800 to start (though the sky's the limit with both). Between a fairly inexpensive grill and a bottom-of-the-line pizza oven, you're already at the price of this Over-Fired Broiler.
I spent all winter sampling the fruits of Pat LaFrieda's signature Otto Wilde OFB Grill after LaFrieda himself gave me the rundown outside of his sandwich shop at The Pennsy Food Hall at Pennsylvania Plaza.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
Pat LaFrieda explains why, for the first time, he chose to endorse a grill
Getting the most out of your grill: Setup, cleaning, and maintenance are a cinch.
The grilling process
Adjusting the grate height
Are there many (if any) more magnificent sights on this marvelous earth?
Heaven is a place...
Filet mignon, post-fire
Sliced filet mignon
Also, a burger for the ages
Salivate away, fellow meat lovers
Did I mention that it cooks more than meat?
There's almost nothing you can't do with this grill and a cast iron pan
But, of course, I had to try cooking steak, too
The bottom line
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Spotify set to overtake Apple Podcasts by the end of this year: eMarketer
- Bitcoin scammers used Apple's iPhone 13 reveal to steal $69,000 from fans
- Mirror, mirror on the wall; when will you stop judging us all: asks Taapsee Pannu in her latest ad with SUGAR Cosmetics
- This Indian chef says he is making his entire month's salary from one Instagram video but for him it’s just a tool
- Evergrande’s impact on Bitcoin highlights how cryptocurrencies still have growing pains