There's a scientific reason men get beer bellies and women don't
- Beer bellies aren't exclusive to beer drinkers. It has more to do with the way our bodies store up fat.
- While women tend to store fat in their thighs, arms, and backside, men tend to do so in their bellies.
- Visceral fat pushes a man's abdominal wall outward, creating a beer gut.
- This type of fat can wrap around your kidneys, liver and intestines, where it releases hormones that can disrupt their normal function. This can lead to issues like Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.