There's one major thing everyone gets wrong about Amazon and the retail apocalypse
"It's mathematically impossible for it to be Amazon's fault," Stephens said.
Online sales are growing rapidly - up 15% in the most recent quarter compared to 4% for total retail sales.But total e-commerce sales account for just 8.5% of overall retail sales in the US. The other 91.5% of purchases are still made in brick-and-mortar stores, according to the US Census Bureau.
So what's sending mall and store traffic plunging, if most purchases are still made in stores? Fung Global Retail
Fung Global Retail
Business Insider, Mike Nudelman
Demand never quite caught up and then the recession hit, resulting in a sharp contraction in discretionary spending, says John Clapp, a professor at the University of Connecticut's Center for Real Estate.
"Now there's two or three times more retail space per person than we need in the US," Clapp says.The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia, the next two countries with the most retail space per capita, according to Morningstar Credit Ratings.Advertisement
Too much excess retail space has led to a drop in retail sales per square foot in the US. A company like Sears would need to close nearly half its stores to restore its sales per square foot to 2006 levels, according to the real estate analytics firm Green Street Advisors.
Many retailers expected sales to bounce back after the recession. But that never happened for a majority of mall-based stores, primarily because people changed their shopping habits.Advertisement Fung Global Retail, Green Street Advisors
Fung Global Retail, Green Street Advisors
"People are making more discerning decisions about what they buy, where they spend, and how they spend," Stephens says.
Specifically, shoppers are buying more experiences than things.Stephens says this trend, which has been particularly devastating to apparel retailers, is due in part to the rise of social media. Advertisement
"Experiences make a better story on social media than things," he says.
Fung Global Retail
E-commerce will eventually play a bigger role in the overall retail economy due to its rapid growth, but for now, it can't be blamed as the main source for retailers' troubles.
- Sensex down 7% this week, sees the second-worst fall this year— these are the reasons behind the sell-off
- Realme Narzo 20 Pro to on sale in India on September 25
- Sharechat raises $40 million from Twitter, Pawan Munjal, SAIF Partners and others
- Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and 222 other Android apps were targeted by a new Trojan malware found stealing user credentials
- Best microfiber comforters for a comfortable Sleep