These are the 10 most innovative states in the U.S.
- Innovation is not just found at big tech companies operating out of California's Silicon Valley.
- WalletHub recently compiled a ranking of the most innovative and least innovative states in the U.S., based on numerous metrics of human capital and innovation environment.
- These are the top 10 most innovative states, ranked out of 51 spots to include D.C.
The U.S. is often credited as one of the most innovative countries in the world, but that doesn't mean its innovation and technological pursuits are divided equally around the country.Innovative concepts and burgeoning tech often finds its start in major cities like New York and San Francisco, while middle-of-the-country states are attempting to play catch-up.Advertisement
Financial advisor website WalletHub recently compiled a list ranking innovation in each of the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. It's no surprise that the top 10 on the list include states with major tech epicenters, and states that have long attracted headquarters of major tech companies who, in turn, attract top tech talent.
WalletHub's rankings are based on two dozen metrics divided into two categories: human capital and innovation environment.Human capital comprises units like states' share of STEM professionals, projected STEM job demand in 2020, and performance and participation in high school-level math and science exams. Meanwhile, innovation environment includes metrics weighing each state's share of companies that are technology-oriented, the level of research and development, the number of jobs in new companies, and each place's tax friendliness.
These are the 10 most innovative states in the U.S., according to WalletHub:
3. District of Columbia (Washington D.C.)Advertisement
- PM speaks to Assam CM over flood, COVID-19; announces Rs 2 lakh each for those killed in deluge
- Maha records another daily high of 6,364 new coronavirus cases
- Rajasthan reports 10 more COVID-19 deaths, 390 new cases
- Delhi: Authorities begin process of conducting rapid antigen tests outside COVID containment zones
- PTI tally of COVID-19 cases and deaths in India at 9:35pm