These are the 21 ingredients that make an Impossible Burger look and taste like meat
- The Impossible Burger, made by Impossible Foods, was designed to taste and "bleed" like real meat.
- Impossible's current recipe was cooked up by Chief Science Officer David Lipman, who said the company "spent years analyzing meat and recreating every element of the sensory experience."
- Here are the 21 ingredients that Impossible "meat" is made of.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
So what's in the plant-based meat substitute with big ambitions to take over the food industry?
In a January blog post, Lipman wrote that the Impossible science team "spent years analyzing meat and recreating every element of the sensory experience - smell, flavor, texture, touch, nutrition, sizzle factor."Impossible Foods uses genetic engineering to make ingredients that are essential to the taste and texture of its plant-based meat substitute: soy leghemoglobin (also known as heme) and soy protein. Soy protein replaced wheat protein as the main base for Impossible's second recipe, while soy leghemoglobin is responsible for making the patty taste like meat.While some have criticized Impossible Foods for its use of genetic engineering, the Food and Drug Administration deemed heme safe to eat in 2018.Advertisement
According to Impossible Foods' website, the five main ingredients of an Impossible Burger 2.0 are:
- Soy Protein Concentrate
- Coconut Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Natural Flavors
Impossible "meat" also contains 2% or less of:
- Potato Protein
- Yeast Extract
- Cultured Dextrose
- Food Starch modified
- Soy Leghemoglobin
- Soy Protein isolate
- Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E)
- Zinc Glutonate
- Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1)
- Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C)
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
- Vitamin B12
In his blog post, Lipman wrote that Impossible Foods would continue to improve its recipe's taste and nutritional value.
"At Impossible Foods, we've been working on a way to turn plants into meat for only seven years, and we're getting better at it every day," he wrote.
- Film industry wishes speedy recovery for Big B, son Abhishek after they test COVID-19 positive
- 535 new COVID-19 cases in Assam
- Expand plasma therapy facilities for COVID-19 patients: CM
- West Bengal records biggest single-day jump of 1,344 COVID-19 cases
- Amitabh Bachchan and son Abhishek test positive for COVID-19, hospitalised