These are the top 25 people who will have the most influence in tech this year, according to a survey of over 30,000 developers
Rosalie ChanMay 11, 2019, 19:30 IST
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong
Tesla CEO Elon Musk
Stack Overflow, a site for developers to ask and answer questions about programming, recently released the results to its annual developer survey.
The survey got 30,000 answers to the open-ended question: "What individual person will have the most influence in tech this year?" Of note, 91.7% of the respondents were men, according to Stack Overflow.
Over 30% of them wrote in Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla.
These are the top 25 people who will have the most influence in tech in 2019, based on the survey.
Stack Overflow, a site where you can get answers to even the trickiest programming questions, recently released its annual developer survey.
This annual survey of nearly 90,000 developers looks at demographics, what types of work programmers are doing, the technology they're using to do it, and other questions.AdvertisementThis year, Stack Overflow also surveyed developers on who they think will most influence tech in 2019, allowing respondents to write in their answer. It's important to note that the question was phrased as: "What individual person will have the most influence in tech this year?" That phrasing doesn't specify whether the impact is good or bad.
These top 25 results are based on 30,398 responses, and include CEOs and co-founders of tech giants, open source developers, and even politicians. The top response by far is Elon Musk, the bombastic CEO of Tesla - 30.2% of respondents wrote him in, followed by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.
Only one woman made it on to the list. Also of note, 91.7% of respondents were men, while only 7.9% were women and 1.2% were non-binary, genderqueer, or gender non-conforming.
Below are the top 25 people who will have the most influence in tech in 2019, according to the Stack Overflow survey.
25. Werner Vogels, Amazon CTO
24. Jack Ma, Alibaba cofounder and chairman
23. Demis Hassabis, Google DeepMind CEO and founder
22. Jon Skeet, staff software engineer at Google
21. Lisa Su, Advanced Micro Devices CEO
20. Jeff Dean, Google senior fellow
19. Ajit Pai, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission
18. Rich Hickey, Cognitect CTO and creator of Clojure and Datomic
17. Larry Page, Alphabet CEO and co-founder of Google
16. Vitalik Buterin, co-founder of Ethereum
15. Richard Stallman, president and founder of the Free Software Foundation
14. Andrew Ng, founder and CEO of Landing AI and cofounder of Coursera
13. Evan You, creator of Vue.js
12. Xi Jinping, president of the People's Republic of China
11. Dan Abramov, software engineer on the React team at Facebook
10. Bill Gates, Microsoft co-founder
9. Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux
8. Tim Cook, Apple CEO
7. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook CEO and co-founder
6. Sundar Pichai, Google CEO
5. Donald Trump, president of the United States of America
3. Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO
2. Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO and founder
1. Elon Musk, co-founder and CEO of Tesla and SpaceX