This Fantastic Picture Shows What The Earth And Mars Look Like From The Moon
When the spacecraft's LROC camera captured this image, Earth was about 376,687 kilometers (234,062 miles) away from LRO and Mars was 112.5 million kilometers away. In other words, Mars was about 300 times farther from the Moon than the Earth. (Note: Mars has been contrast-stretched in order to improve its visibility.)
This view of Earth includes several cloud patterns that satellites observe frequently. A line of rain and thunderstorms are visible in a band near the equator, an area known as the Intertropical Convergence Zone. To the north, off the west coast of North Africa, notice the banks of closed-cell clouds over the Atlantic Ocean. Moving into the high latitudes, we see comma-shaped cloud patterns caused by extra-tropical cyclones.
LROC actually consists of two narrow-angle cameras. Images taken by these cameras are built from rows of pixels acquired one after another, and then the left and right images are mosaicked together to make a complete pair. If the spacecraft was not moving, the rows of pixels would image the same area over and over; so it is the spacecraft motion, combined with fine-tuning of the camera exposure time, that enabled the final image.
Capturing this image required some advance planning. LRO's team took practice images of Mars on May 8, 2014, to refine their timing and camera settings.
NASA/Goddard/Arizona State/Jennifer Welsh
Arizona State University (2014, October 2) Two-Planet Perspective from Lunar Orbit. Accessed October 10, 2014.
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (2014, October 2) Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. Accessed October 10, 2014.
Image courtesy NASA/Goddard/Arizona State University. Caption by Adam Voiland.
- Instrument(s): LRO - NAC
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Rajinikanth issues public notice on infringement of rights, warns legal action
- Govt likely to float global tender for HPV vaccine in April; Merck, Serum Institute may participate
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal
- 70-plus Indian startups show exit door to 21K techies, more pink slips coming
- Steps taken in subsidence-hit Joshimath inadequate, declare Himalayas eco-sensitive zone, say experts