This gadget from Amazon's new movie is crazy, but something like it could exist sooner than you think
The gadget in the film, called Augmenta, is a lot more futuristic than Glass. When Dickinson and his friend, Jake Lodwick, the cofounder of Vimeo, were inventing the product, they tried to create something way beyond the state of the market back then.
Although virtual reality headsets from Oculus and HTC will ship this year, augmented reality products are still in earlier stages. With virtual reality, you strap something on your face and feel like you're entering a different world. Augmented reality is where computer-generated images look like they're superimposed on the real world.
Four years after writing, Dickinson tells Business Insider that he's surprised by how close startups like Magic Leap and Meta are to coming to his vision.
In an advertisement for the fictional product, the narrator describes Augmenta as "a layer of magic in front of your eyes":
The add feels quite similar to the descriptions you see on Magic Leap's site today:
He and costar Reggie Watts even got to try out Meta's demo product several weeks ago, and he said that it felt really similar to what he imagined with Augmenta. Meta's augmented-reality headset currently looks like a chunky visor, but it wants to put the technology into smaller forms.
"It's coming fast," Dickinson says. The Meta team "was saying that for what they have going on to be like in the movie - like a pair of glasses - it would be five years away. So, we'll see."
Magic Leap hasn't given public demos like Meta has, but the company has hinted that its product will be as subtle as Augmenta.
Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through hispersonal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Here’s a list of stocks that can benefit from the festive season
- New Airtel and Reliance Jio prepaid plans compared
- Mobile accessories company Balaji Solutions files initial papers for public listing
- Ratan Tata launches Goodfellows which helps senior citizens make friends
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed Concord Biotech files for an IPO
- Ather 450X Gen 3 vs Ola S1 vs TVS iQube S – price, specs and features compared