This giant 'S' spotted in San Francisco is almost certainly the logo for Google's highly-anticipated game streaming service
- A giant S logo, for what is likely Google's highly anticipated gaming announcement, was spotted by 9to5Google on Monday.
- The "S" likely stands for "Stream," as in "Project Stream," Google's Netflix-like video game streaming service it announced last October.
- Interestingly, 9to5Google also snapped a photo of an empty display case, about the size in which one might expect a gaming console to sit.
- Business Insider's Ben Gilbert has speculated that the company will likely release its own gaming hardware as a means to stream games onto TVs, but that it won't be as powerful as say, an Xbox 4 or PlayStation 4.
The "S" likely stands for "Stream," as in "Project Stream," Google's Netflix-like video game streaming service it announced last October. The project has been in beta testing ever since with limited spaces available, but more details around the project (and a formal name) are almost assuredly coming at Google's keynote at GDC tomorrow.
Outside the Moscone Center, display cases have been filled with classic gaming consoles, like the original PlayStation and Sega's Dreamcast.There's been feverish speculation about whether Google will release a console of its own, but the company has kept mum about any hardware component to Project Stream. Business Insider's Ben Gilbert theorizes that Google will likely release its own gaming hardware as a means to stream games onto TVs, but that it won't be as powerful as say, an Xbox 4 or PlayStation 4. Advertisement
"Why's that?" Gilbert writes. "We'd have heard about it! Between research and development costs, associated business deals with game makers, and hardware production, these things leak."
Also of note: Google is actively promoting the imminent game streaming offering on its "Made by Google" ecommerce site, furthering the likelihood that some kind of an in-house hardware device is on its way.Get the latest Google stock price here.Advertisement
Dreamcast spotted at one of the stands pushing Google's big reveal, along with the words "Anything you can dream can be built."- Keith Andrew (@tweeting_keith) March 18, 2019
I'm excited. #google #GDC #gdc19 #sega #dreamcast pic.twitter.com/zjVlpKf3hE
- IPO rush this week — CAMS, Chemcon and Angel Broking gear up to hit the market
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart