This Innovative Bike Lock Knows If You've Been In A Crash
The company claims its product, Skylock, will start "the age of connected cycling." The bike lock comes with a corresponding app that allows cyclists to share their pass code with other riders, allowing them use their bike while its stationary.
Eventually, the access wouldn't just be limited to friends and family. Velo Labs said the bike-share could be managed in a whole community.
"We definitely see the idea of being able to open this to anybody, allowing anybody to 'Airbnb' their bikes," Jack Al-Kahwati, co-founder of Velo Labs told NPR. "If you wanted to start your own informal bike-share, it's completely possible right out of the gate."
And you don't have to memorize a combination to unlock your bike - you just have to press a button on your phone.
However, if you can't be bothered with that, the app can go keyless through Bluetooth, where the lock opens when you walk up to it.And that's just one hi-tech feature. The lock also has sensors that can tell if someone is holding onto your bike too long, potentially trying to steal it. If that's the case, the app will send you a text alert.
Additionally, if it senses a crash-like movement when you're riding, the app sends a message asking if you if you're okay. If there's no response, it will reach out to either rescue agencies or emergency contacts.And if all that still doesn't impress you, the lock is powered by built-in solar panels ,making it "virtually chargeless," said Al-Kahwati.
Skylock will be available by late 2014 for $159. After the "introductory period," the makers say the price will rise to $250.
- How OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI
- A leading supplement researcher says she doesn't take any — because she's getting what she needs from her vegan diet
- Mattel rolled out a Barbie to honor a late Cherokee Nation chief with a language error on the box that says 'chicken' instead of 'Cherokee'
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life
- India’s economic rise: How global tech giants are chasing the next big growth engine
- Lamborghini Revuelto: Plug-in hybrid supercar with V12 engine hits Indian roads