This is the $60 wireless charger Apple prefers for the iPhone X and iPhone 8
That means instead of plugging in your new phone, you can simply place it on a special charging mat.But Apple didn't release its own wireless charger for the iPhone X and iPhone 8. It teased its own, but that won't come out until sometime next year. (Reports from Apple's factories have been negative.)Advertisement
But in the meantime, Apple said, you can use any charger that uses the Qi standard - the same wireless charging format that Samsung and other phone makers use.
But for Apple fans, that may be unsatisfying. One reason why people buy Apple stuff is because it's generally designed well and feels higher-quality than third-party accessories.So which wireless charging pad seems to be Apple's favorite now? At its big press event on Tuesday, it was using a black pad made by Mophie.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
It's currently on sale for $59.95 from Apple directly. Apple sells one other wireless charger, the $59.95 Belkin Boost Up, but the Mophie was the one Apple chose to display on Tuesday.These are expensive charging pads. Amazon sells Qi charging pads for as little as $15, including one made by Samsung. It also sells options that provide 7.5 watts, which means they should be as effective as Apple's recommended charger. But if you want the charger that comes closest to Apple design, look, and feel, you probably want to opt for the one that Apple's using - at least until AirPower comes out sometime next year.Advertisement
- Chinese hackers claim Apple's Secure Enclave chip has a new 'unfixable vulnerability'
- National Education Policy: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister writes to Modi opposing the shift to three languages
- Bajaj Auto's July sales drop by a third and the bigger dent came from exports
- One-time loan restructuring dilemma - RBI won’t commit, and India Inc won’t stop asking for it
- While people boycott Chinese products, IPL to retain Chinese sponsors: Omar Abdullah