This is the biggest mistake you're making with your laundry
No, wait, hear me out. The conventional method of washing on cold, moving to the dryer, and drying on the hottest setting is doing harm to your clothes that you might not even realize.
You see, the dryer is evil. It may seem innocent, with its pure promise to extract the moisture from your clothing and leave them unwrinkled.
But the dryer has a darker side: you're trading the convenience of drying your clothing quickly and easily for the longevity of your garments.
Here's the two ways the dryer destroys clothing:
- Dryers shrink clothing. This is common knowledge to many. But what you may not know, and what a recent study confirmed, according to USA Today, is that the dryer shrinks clothing twice as much as washing alone. The study says that the temperature of tumble drying isn't what causes shrinkage - it's the agitation and forced air that affects the fabric's size.
- The agitation of tumble drying produces microscopic wear to your clothing. Since it's so small, you can't actually see it unless you look in the dryer's lint compartment. There you will find pieces of fabric that have come off the clothing in the dryer, and they reduce the longevity of your garment. The study found that towels washed and dried 20 times lost 50% of their tensile strength.
View all Offers
2019 Apple iPad Mini with A12 Bionic chip (7.9-inch/20.1 cm, Wi‑Fi, 64GB) - Space Grey (5th Generation)₹ 33900₹ 33900Buy On
- 14% OFF
HP Ink Tank 415 WiFi Colour Printer, High Capacity Tank 6000 Black and 8000 Colour,Low Cost per Page (10p for B/W and 20p for Colour), Borderless Print₹ 13999₹ 13999Buy On
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 31.5 cm (12.4 inch) Large Display, Slim Metal Body, Dolby Atmos Sound, S-Pen in Box, RAM 4 GB, ROM 64 GB Expandable, Wi-Fi Tablet, Mystic Black₹ 35999₹ 35999Buy On
- 29% OFF
My Book 4TB India High Capacity External Hard Drive with Automatic Backup and Password Protection & Hardware Encryption, for Win & MAC₹ 6992₹ 6992Buy On
Apple Watch SE (GPS, 44mm) - Gold Aluminium Case with Pink Sand Sport Band₹ 26900₹ 26900Buy On
How can you avoid this? Easy: avoid the dryer altogether. Shirts and pants can be put on hangers after a washing cycle, and hung up in your closet or bathroom to dry. You can minimize your dryer time by using it only for undergarments, towels, socks, and other miscellaneous items.
If you still insist on drying everything, the evidence points to shorter, less-hot cycles being better for your clothes overall. Ultimately, you want to minimize the time your clothes touch heat and are agitated by the tumble.
Your clothes will ultimately thank you.
- Railway recruitment 2022: Over 2,400 apprenticeship posts announced, check out last date and other details
- DDA budget: TOD hub, cycle walk, drain projects for better Delhi
- DA budget approved: DMRC grant; allocation for housing, other projects
- Government appoints Vikram Dev Dutt as Air India chief
- Great Republic Day Sale: Best deals on microwaves, refrigerators and washing machines on Amazon
- Mythology audiobooks
- Electric car Championship
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022