This retailer's profits have gone nuts - thanks to adult colouring-in books
Like-for-like stationary sales increased 5% because of adult activity books, especially since the chain opted to market them at the front of the stores.
This trading update isn't the first time WHSmith has cited an increase in the sale of colouring-in books for stressed out adults as a reason for overall growth. At Christmas, the company said its strong performance over the period was "driven by the 'colour therapy' phenomenon."
Grown-up colouring books have now grown so much in popularity that Amazon, the online retailer, has an entire shopping category devoted to adult colouring books, where you can buy colouring books like a London A-Z map or one of actor Benedict Cumberbatch's face.
Along with strong colouring book sales, WHSmith CEO Stephen Clarke said in the report that the retailer's expansion into airports and train stations is paying off.
"The Travel performance reflects our ongoing investment in the UK business and growing passenger numbers while internationally we have now secured over 200 stores, including our first airport shops in Spain and Germany" Clarke said.
While the company reported strong profit growth in the six months to February, sales in its high street stores were flat. That news seems to have spooked investors on Wednesday morning, and just after 10:30 a.m. BST (5:30 a.m. ET) shares are down more than 3%. Here's how that looks:
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- India to add 80 airports in next 4-5 years; new rules for aerodromes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World