Tiny apartments are technically illegal in New York City, but thousands of them exist
coming to New York this spring in Manhattan's Kips Bay.
Known as My Micro NY, the apartments won a design competition back in 2013 and are currently being built in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, according to The New York Times.
The units range from 260 to 360 square feet and have some amazing amenities such as big windows, storage space, Juliet balconies, public areas, a café, a rooftop garden, and more.
1987 zoning laws, which state that "a dwelling unit shall have an area of at least 400 square feet of floor area."
Yet even though by law New York apartments should be bigger than 400 square feet, thousands of New Yorkers live in apartments much tinier than that since the law did not penalize homes built prior to 1987.
But some New Yorkers think that the trade off for less square space and greater savings in rent is worth it.
"Sure there are some compromises, but it's worth it," author and artist Felice Cohen said to FairCompanies.com in 2010. Cohen lived in a 90-square-foot apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side.
Her apartment didn't even have a kitchen or a bedroom, but she paid only $700 for rent and lived quite comfortably. The FairCompanies.com video of her apartment went viral and has been viewed by over 6.5 million people.
And she's not alone. Luke Clark Tyler told SPACEStv in 2012 that he found his 78-square-foot New York apartment on Craigslist. "I think it called it a studio, which I don't know if it qualifies as a studio," he laughed.
Almost 1.5 million people have watched the video to see how he lives in such a small space by hiding his bed and sharing a bathroom dorm-style.
Many New Yorkers are willing to live in tiny apartments, a fact proven by the city's waitlist for the My Micro NY units. Hopefully as the trend catches on and more small apartments are built across New York, the real estate market will become more affordable.
"Coming home to a tiny apartment, I mean, this is what I've been doing for at least five years now," Tyler told SPACEtv. We adapt very easily as people."
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World