The best roadside emergency car kits you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Roadside emergency car kits can ensure you have some useful items on hand, in case your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident.
- Our top pick, the Ultimate All-In-One Survival Solution Car Emergency Roadside Assistance Kit, is a well-stocked option full of practical supplies, all available at a reasonable price point.
When I, as a teenager, bought my first car, my parents gave me a roadside emergency kit for Christmas. For years, that kit sat in the back of my car, unused - until one day it didn't. When my car broke down on the side of the road, during torrential rain, I was so glad to have that kit. It had everything I needed, including a poncho, reflective triangle, and roadside flares. It also contained jumper cables that I now use numerous times to help friends jump-start their cars' dead batteries.
Don't think of roadside emergency kits as "just in case" purchases; if you are ever in a situation where you'd need them, they're invaluable. You can purchase everything from the most basic kit to a deluxe package with more supplies than you could ever possibly use, but finding the right kit takes some time. Some more affordable kits include low-quality supplies, and when you're in a pinch you don't want to depend on a product that won't work. Other kits have some essential items, but they don't include some important basics you'll almost certainly need.
We've identified the best roadside emergency kits to help make your decision easier. Our selections are based on a number of factors, and we've assessed the items contained in the kits, any valuable items that may be missing, the overall quality of the products, the kits' price points, and how satisfied buyers are with their purchases. Many of these kits include items that the National Safety Council, Ready, and American Automobile Association recommend in a roadside emergency kit, but not all, like a can opener, batteries, hand-crank radio, etc.
Keeping a kit in each vehicle you drive can give you peace of mind that you're prepared in the case of a breakdown or an accident. These kits also make excellent gifts for new drivers, or for anyone who has a vehicle but doesn't yet have a kit of their own.
Here are the best roadside emergency kits you can buy in 2019:
- Best roadside emergency kit overall: INEX Life Car Emergency Roadside Assistance Kit
- Best budget roadside emergency kit: STDY Auto Emergency Kit
- Best premium roadside emergency kit: AutoClubHero Premium Car Emergency Survival Kit
- Best winter roadside emergency kit: Lifeline AAA Severe Weather Road Safety Kit
- Best high-visibility roadside emergency kit: Always Prepared Reflective Car Emergency Roadside Kit
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.