Twitter says it's being blocked by Pakistan's government
- Twitter says the Pakistani government blocked the service on Saturday.
- Other social media sites like Facebook may be blocked as well.
- It's unclear why Pakistan would block social media sites, but it could be related to recent protests in the country.
"We are aware of reports that the Pakistani government has taken action to block Twitter service, as well as other social media services, and that users are having difficulty using Twitter in Pakistan. We are monitoring the situation and hope service will be fully restored soon," Twitter's statement reads.
Twitter's service was blocked by Pakistan's government Saturday, the company said in a tweet from its policy account.
It's not clear why Pakistan is blocking social media sites, but the Associated Press reported Saturday that the government sent in troops to address an Islamist sit-in in Islamabad.
- Top stocks to watch — Hero Moto, Airtel, Tata Motors, ICICI Bank, Adani Gas, Marico, Titan, Dr Reddy’s and others
- Apophis, the ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid is speeding up — increasing the likelihood of it hitting Earth in 2068
- Sputnik V: RDIF seeks vaccine's speedy registration, prequalification from WHO
- Ankhi Das quits as Facebook's India public policy head
- States urged to adopt national approach: Niti Aayog on 'free vaccine'