Two teens invented a genius way to stop the spread of bacteria on bathroom door handles
If everyone doesn't wash their hands after doing their business, some germs could be hanging around to get passed on and spread diseases.
To nip that possibility in the bud, two teens from Hong Kong figured out a sophisticated and cheap way to make a door handle that disinfects itself, automatically.
Sum Ming ("Simon") Wong, 17, and Kin Pong ("Michael") Li, 18, presented the design of their nifty door handle at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair on May 12.
Here's how it works:
The door handle is coated with titanium dioxide, a mineral that kills bacteria and is found in paint and sunscreen. That takes care of preventing bacteria from growing on the surface of the handle, but because titanium dioxide is best at killing bacteria under ultraviolet (UV) light, that's not the end of the super-cool design.
Since door handles aren't normally bathed in UV light, Wong and Li figured out a way for every bit of their bacteria-fighting handle to get some UV rays - they lit it from inside. The handle itself is a cylinder of clear glass, with a strong light-emitting diode (LED) on one end that shines UV light through the length of the handle. Lit up with UV light, the titanium dioxide can go to work killing bacteria.
There seem to be a lot of components to the design, but Wong and Li estimate the self-disinfecting door handle system would cost only about $13 to build.
- Slice payments app spies on photos, audio records and call history, says Google
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Tesla is laying off workers who only just started and withdrawing employment offers as Elon Musk's job cuts begin
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India