Two years on, Reliance Jio continues to dominate Indian telecom market, beating global giants
RelianceJio had 262.7 million subscribers in October.
- Both, Vodafone-Idea and
Bharti Airtel, saw a decline in consumer base.
- The total number of telephone subscribers in India stands at a grand total of 1170.02 million as of October.
The Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio went from 252.2 million subscribers in September to 262.7 million in October, while BSNL saw a hike from its 113 million subscribers to 113.4 million in October. The total telephone subscribers in India stands at a grand total of 1170.02 million as of October, 2018. Trailing off in the race are bigwigs like Vodafone-Idea, Bharti Airtel and Reliance Infocomm.
The Jio Impact
With its discounted offers and plans, Jio continues to excite its consumer base, adding more and more numbers to its list. For example, Jio’s recent ‘Happy New Year’ offer announcing a 100 percent cashback for consumers opting for its ₹399 plan. With such plans, the telecom company aims to continue to make its mark in the country.
Jio, when it had launched in September 2016, had caused a huge uproar in the
In fact, Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd. could soon become the country’s no. 1 telecom operator by revenue in 2021 and on a subscriber basis by 2022, as stated in a Sanford C Bernstein & Co.
Vodafone-Idea still no breakthrough?
The Indian market was set to see an overhaul after two of India’s telecom giants
When the merger was approved to create the country’s largest mobile services operator, several government officials had touted the merger to bring in stability into the market to break a possible monopoly by Jio.
After disrupting the telecom industry with Jio, Mukesh Ambani makes a ₹52 billion play for broadband and cable dominance
AdvertisementMukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio decides that it may be too expensive to give brother Anil Ambani’s RCom a lifeline after all
India's richest man's plan to revolutionize its telecom industry with cheap data seems to be working
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Linda Yaccarino to take over as new Twitter CEO on Monday, hires key aide
- Sensex, Nifty50 rise in morning trade driven by auto and banking stocks
- OPEC Plus will continue oil output cuts as prices remain unchanged
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238