Uber mistakenly charged riders 100 times the price on their receipt - and people are livid
- Uber mistakenly overcharged passengers by as much as 100 times their fare, riders reported on Twitter.
- The company said there was a service interruption that resulted in higher hold amounts on cards that has since been fixed.
- Two weeks ago, another bug sent drivers to their riders' final destinations before picking anyone up.
- VIsit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Uber's app has been hit with its second major glitch in as many weeks.
After sending drivers do destinations before picking up any passengers, riders complained on Twitter this week that they were being charged up to 100 times their originally quoted fare, making quick trips cost more than $1,000 in some cases.The Washington Post first reported on the glitch, and the newspaper's social-media director chimed in to say he was also affected, despite his receipt showing a much smaller fare.
"Among the lessons: Don't link Uber to your debit card," he followed up. "That money was immediately pulled from my checking account and is still not restored. It could take more than a day for Chase to restore it."
He was far from the only one to report the issue:
Other users said they also experienced the bug on Uber Eats
Uber support chimed in, saying it was a known issue that has already been fixed.
Like gas stations or other purchases, Uber puts a hold on credit cards when the ride is ordered to ensure that the person can pay for the eventual total. But it's admission did little to calm people waiting on refunds:
More Uber news:
- Uber just launched an Amazon-like feature that could help it cash in on millennials' mobile-shopping addiction
- New York City has the green light to ban one of Uber and Lyft drivers' biggest side hustles, a court has ruled
- Uber and Lyft rides are down in New York City thanks to a minimum-wage rule that drove up prices. Analysts say it could have been even worse.
This happened to me tonight. Uber charged me $1,238.00 for my trip home, even though the receipt says $12.38. https://t.co/cJUkjCaNlM- Mark W. Smith ♂️ (@markdubya) July 18, 2019
We are sorry for the trouble here, @RickardPrime. We encountered a service interruption that resulted in a higher amount being held on the card at the time of trip booking. This interruption has been fixed. Hope this helps.- Uber Support (@Uber_Support) July 18, 2019
Riders: "You just over charged me hundreds of dollars!! Can I get that money back??"- Danny (@jDantastic) July 17, 2019
Uber Support: pic.twitter.com/CffC2pLcE9
I contacted @uber and @uber_support because I was charged 1006 for a 10.06 ride and I still haven't been contacted back and there's no support phone number . This is the tech future https://t.co/iBBTOzBbab- covnt parker ♂️ (@daeshvwn) July 17, 2019
@Uber_Support I have been charged £1484.44 for a 15min trip! That's 100 times the price on my receipt. It's pending in my account and I'm really worried, please help!- Richard Burrows (@RickardPrime) July 18, 2019