UK Sinha could be reappointed as the chairman of SEBI
This has happened because of one contender,
Other than Abhishek and Mathew, SBI chairman
Talking of the search cum selection panel, it is headed by cabinet secretary PK Sinha, while other members are additional principal secretary to Prime Minister PK Mishra, DEA secretary Shaktikanda Das, Institute of Economic Growth director Professor Manoj Panda, Gujarat National Law University director Dr Bimal N Patel, and Centre for Policy Research senior fellow Professor Rajiv Kumar.
If Sinha is to be reappointed, it may require some change in rules because the current rules don’t allow the chairman's tenure to exceed five years, which Sinha will complete on February 17. This may also mean that vigilance clearance will have to be obtained afresh as per the current SEBI rules.
Advertisement"Whenever rules are changed, it cannot be a one-time affair to suit a particular contingency," a securities law expert told ET. "It has to be there to apply to all and for all times to come."
As of now, DR Mehta is the only person to have held the post of
Popular on BI
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock double after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- In India, less than one in every 10,000 jabs have led to serious adverse reactions — not necessarily due to the vaccine
- After taking us on a nostalgia trip by featuring 90s stars like Rahul Dravid and Jackie Shroff in its ads, CRED is back at it again, this time with Chacha Chaudhary and Suppandi
- Top 10 most wicket-takers for India in the history of Test Cricket