Under Armour is expanding its empire
The Baltimore-based company just announced a deal with boxing legend Muhammad Ali.
The deal comes just days after the company signed NBA All-Star Stephen Curry and announced the launch of its biggest global brand campaign to date, which will feature ads starring Curry and actor Jamie Foxx.
Under Armour's investments appear to be working,
The company's sales increased 32% to $3.08 billion in 2014, compared to the previous year.
Best known for its performance wear, Under Armour has grown rapidly over the last 18 years. When it was founded in 1996, it had $17,000 in revenue. This year, it's expected to bring in $3.76 billion.
That's still only a fraction of Nike's sales, which are expected to total $28 billion this year.
That's why Under Armour has been increasing its investments in endorsement deals, an area where Nike has always excelled.
In addition to Curry and Ali, Under Armour also recently signed deals with supermodel Gisele Bundchen and ballerina Misty Copeland shortly after launching its largest-ever global women's marketing campaign. And early last year, Under Armour scored the biggest equipment deal in college sports.
The company recently lost a bid for basketball star Kevin Durant to Nike, but Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank said he wasn't deterred by the failure.
"We're going to grow 20%-plus next year with or without the deal," Plank told Bloomberg TV's Stephanie Ruhle. "We wanted to send a message to every athletic director, to every president of every team club, to every league commissioner, that if you have a deal, there's no deal too big for us."
- There is a universal pattern to swearing, across languages
- Are you effectively assessing the impact of marketplace management services?
- Digital upskilling has become the need of the hour for the pharma sector
- Why manufacturers must embrace skills transformation to be future-ready
- 'One-trick' ponies – US, India and China markets are rallying on single narratives, investors need to be cautious, say experts
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World