VAROUFAKIS: A Brexit would be 'a further step towards the disintegration of the EU'
If the British think they can simply detach from the continent and sail towards the USA or China, then they are mistaken. There are industry and working standards they cannot simply bow out of.
I don't believe a Brexit will hurt the City of London as one of the largest financial centers in the world. However, this would be a further step towards the disintegration of the EU. For the first time, the Union would not expand but shrink. A dangerous trend.
Pro-Brexit campaigners will be heartened to hear that Varoufakis thinks London's financial prowess will not be affected by leaving the European Union.
But the economist clearly believes Britain would leave with blood on its hands, as a British exit could lead to a collapse of the European Union.
David Cameron promised a referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union as part of last year's general election campaign. Cameron and the Tory party are officially pro-Europe but the Conservative Party leader was forced to concede the referendum, which is expected to be held this summer, as support for anti-Europe party UKIP rose across the UK.
Varoufakis made the comments on the Brexit as part of a larger, exclusive interview with BI Deutschland, our German sister site. You can read the full interview, in English, here.
- Neobanking platform Vance raises $5.8 million in seed round led by Hummingbird Ventures
- Natural gas price increase negative for GAIL, IGL, marginal beneficiary is RIL: Jefferies
- Auto sales remain buoyant in September with reports of a good festive season ahead
- IAF scrambles fighter jets after bomb scare on Iranian civilian plane in Indian airspace
- Delhi reports over 400 cases of dengue in a week, taking the tally to 937
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World