Eureka, Vedanta’s web-based platform, to nurture and incubate in-house innovation and technology
AdvertisementVedanta Limited, one of the world's largest globally diversified natural resource majors, has today announced the creation of 'Eureka', which is a web-based platform that would nurture and incubate in-house innovation and technology to coincide with National Technology Day today. The platform will most probably go live on May 30, 2016.
A part of Vedanta's Innovation & Technology programme, this has been created for Rs 200 crore, and would be funding in-house opportunities for research and development, said a company statement.
To be headed by Ajay Dixit, Vedanta Limited’s CEO – Power, this is currently busy assessing a clutch of prospects in the field of mining, exploration and production. 'MAGMA', a new technology to convert of red mud into pig iron is also a part of the programme, which if successful, would be instrumental in protecting the mining area from being filled with red mud. In turn, this red mud would be used for more productive purposes.
"Innovation is crucial to business success and sustainability in the natural resources industry. From assessing mineral deposits, cost management, ensuring worker safety to addressing environmental imperatives, innovative practices hold the key to value creation," Dixit said.
Other than MAGMA, the viability of recovering zinc and lead from slag, generated during the smelting of zinc, is also being evaluated. The programme has received a submission from the Black Mountain Mining (BMM) project in South Africa, which has submitted a technology named 'REFLEX', facilitating the effective survey of mines.
Some of the other areas under evaluation include: developing processes to reduce water consumption, converting fly ash into geo-polymer cement, and cutting down on paper consumption.
Popular on BI
- Slice payments app spies on photos, audio records and call history, says Google
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Tesla is laying off workers who only just started and withdrawing employment offers as Elon Musk's job cuts begin
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India