Watch Hurricane Dorian throw lightning strikes off its swirling vortex, signalling a disaster
- Lightning strikes next to
Hurricane Dorian’s eye are an indicator that the storm could intensify.
- Hurricanes do produce lightning but it’s usually very infrequent at the center of storm — but that isn’t the case with Dorian.
- The hurricane hasn’t moved from its position in the last two hours and has been battering the Bahamas for over 24 hours.
Hurricane Dorian putting on a lightning show tonight. Spectacular imagery. https://t.co/cdrs22PZqe— Dakota Smith (@weatherdak) 1567143420000
The lightning show is a loop of satellite images from the end of August put together by Dakota Smith, a meteorologist at the US National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR).
#HurricaneDorian as seen from @Space_Station earlier today. Hoping everyone in its path stays safe. https://t.co/6vejLDPJHF— Christina H Koch (@Astro_Christina) 1567450501000
Dorian is so massive that it can be seen clearly from the International Space Station (ISS).
Why it’s a big deal
Take a look at all that lightning! The Geostationary Lightning Mapper aboard NOAA's #GOESEast captured this view of… https://t.co/Czhe0UA1uS— NOAA Satellites (@NOAASatellites) 1567174167000
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration ( NASA) backs the theory with multiple observations. Intense lightning activity around a hurricane’s eye — the eyewall — is an indicator of storm rearing to grow.
Bahamas under distress for over 24 hours
Dorian was recently downgraded from a Category 5 to a Category 4. But before it started to simmer down, the hurricane caused ‘ unprecedented’ damage to the Bahamas, according to the country’s Prime Minister.
The Bahamas were blasted by Dorian for over 24 hours with no respite in sight. The hurricane hasn’t budged from its position for 10 hours.
NOAA's #GOES16 continues to track #HurricanDorian, edging slowly toward the U.S., as day fades to night. For the la… https://t.co/RdZZByC7WP— NOAA Satellites PA (@NOAASatellitePA) 1567471842000
Dorian is expected to head North and hit the US coast sometime this week, but its path has been very unpredictable. The country’s cancelled more than 1,000 flights and shut down three of its airports in anticipation of the
A cocktail of weird Caribbean weather is making Hurricane Dorian's path especially hard to predict
More than 1,000 flights are canceled and 3 airports are shutting down completely as Hurricane Dorian approaches the East Coast
Trump is working with Florida to prepare for Hurricane Dorian, but lashed out when the storm barreled toward Puerto Rico
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- India to add 80 airports in next 4-5 years; new rules for aerodromes